Author Topic: Weaning from breast to bottle  (Read 1374 times)

Offline mary whenman

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Weaning from breast to bottle
« on: November 20, 2005, 13:56:14 pm »
I am having problems getting my 4.5 month old son to bottle feed in preparation for my return to work in two months.  He has been exclusively breast fed since birth.

I am trying to introduce one morning bottle feed a day at the moment.  He screams and cries real tears when I put the bottle (gently) in his mouth.  I am using Hipp Organic formula.  My health visitor suggested leaving the house and getting my husband to try the bottle.  He has done this two days running and got the same result as me.

Does anybody have any expereince of this.  What worked for you?
thornbury

Offline lorna aikman

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2005, 15:29:16 pm »
HI
I'M NOT SURE IF I CAN HELP BUT I'M IN YOUR EXACT POSSISION AND I'M STILL TRYING TO FIND A SOLUTION. MY BABE IS 16 WKS HE HAS TAKEN THE BOTTLE IN THE PAST BUT FOR THE LAST 4 WKS (SINCE HIS 2ND IMUNS)HES GOT REALLY FUSSY. HE IS TEETHING AND COLD SO THAT DOESNT HELP.

I HAVE DONE NUMEROUS THINGS WHICH WORK SOMETIMES AND NOT OTHERTIMES BUT THEY MIGHT BE OF SOME HELP

I CHANGED THE TEATS TO THE OLD FATIONED ONES. LATEX AND LONG (FROM BOOTS) WHICH ARE ALOT SOFTER MORE LIKE THE NIPPLE

ALWAYS KEEP THE MILK WARM

LYING HIM ON MY KNEE LIKE YOUR AWAY TO BREAST FEED THEN STICK THE TEAT IN!!

LET HIM SUCK AT THE DUMMY THEN PULL IT OUT QUICKLY AND PUT THE TEAT IN!!

THESE HAVE ALL WORKED BUT DONT ALWAYS.
WHAT I DO FIND IS THAT I MUST CALM HIM DOWN FIRST (TAKE HIM FOR A WEE STROLE THEN CALMLY START AGAIN) SOMETIMES HE ONLY TAKES A FEW OZS BEFORE STARTING TO CRY AGAIN SO I JUST TAKE THE BOTTLE AWAY GIVE HIM HIS DUMMY TILL HES CALM AND START AGAIN.  IF HES REALLY HUNGRY HE WILL TAKE IT. ARRAN HAS TAKEN A WHOLE 8OZ IN A ONER SO HE CAN DO IT.

I'M A PERSON THAT REALLY GOES BY ROUTINE AND WHEN I THINK I'VE GOT HIM INTO ONE HE CHANGES DIRECTION. I CAN ONLY GUIDE HIM AND I HAVE TO GO WITH THE FLOW OR I'LL MISS OUT ON ALL THE GOOD PARTS OF HIS UPBRINGING.

MAIN THING IS TO RELAX. EASILY SAID THAN DONE!!

HOPE I'VE HELPED ALITTLE. IT'S JUST NICE TO KNOW YOURE NOT ALONE.

Offline Noelle

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 53
  • Eau Claire, WI
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2005, 19:45:58 pm »
If you haven't already, you may want to check out the announement at the top of this forum...tips for getting your LO to take a bottle.

http://babywhisperer.com/forum/tips-for-getting-your-lo-to-take-a-bottle-vt35385.html
**Noelle**  Formerly JohnandZoesMom

Offline Luke-n-Me

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2005, 21:04:19 pm »
I have tried everything under the sun to get my lo to take a bottle-I even intro'd it at 2 weeks and here we are 3 months later and she still can't take a bottle.  I ordered to Haberman and received it 2 days ago.  After another horrid day of feeding at the sitters again yesterday, I decided I had to try it, it's the only thing I haven't tried, so I have fed her from it twice today and so far, so good.  She's taken 2 feeds from it with no trouble.  It took her a few minutes to get accustomed to it at first, and it seems to take her a bit long to take the bottle, but she does take it.  I'll try to keep you updated and let you know how it works, but if it works, it's the best $30 I ever spent!!!
Nancy

Luke (4-2-03)
Annika (8-30-05)

Offline Luke-n-Me

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2005, 01:49:42 am »
Well, after 3 months of pure hell and torture trying to get DD to take a bottle, she finally can!  The Haberman has worked like a dream-she can finally take a bottle and eat while I'm at work!  It was definitely worth every last cent-I HIGHLY recommend it.   :D
Nancy

Luke (4-2-03)
Annika (8-30-05)