Author Topic: Can a 2.5 month through fits?  (Read 1037 times)

Offline Gage and Sophie's Mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 17
  • How lucky am I?
Can a 2.5 month through fits?
« on: November 20, 2005, 20:53:31 pm »
Almost every nap time, my son fights his sleep. He resists being swaddled, rocked, pat/shh, and being put in his crib. He screams and arches his back. It is sooo frustrating. Does this mean he is already overtired?

Offline branwen

• Showing Appreciation 21
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2005, 21:47:57 pm »
I would say yes! More than likely you have missed his ideal sleep window.  I would try putting to sleep 20 min earlier then you are now and give that a go! :)
Branwen
Mama to Eirwen 1/22/05

• How lucky am I?
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2005, 02:34:10 am »
I couldnt possibly put him down any sooner. As it is he is only up for 35-45 min becuase he only takes 45 min nap. This is something I am working on.

Offline branwen

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2005, 02:13:03 am »
Ahhh...okay, well that should be about perfect for his age then- the 45 min A time.

Hmmm...is he a refluxer? Cold/hot?  It might take some experimenting to see why he is so uncomfortable with sleeping.  Is he a refluxer? If so maybe doesn't want to be on his back?

The other idea is to extend the naps as you mention.  You could try the nap board for help with this using pat/shhh.  It could be that once you get the naps extended he won't be so overtired, but if he is sleeping only 45 min at a time he's going to compound the tiredness, it will build on the last because it is my understanding that it is the second 45 cycle (1.5 hr nap) that is the deep one, so if he only has the first cycles he's not going to get that "restortative sleep."
Branwen
Mama to Eirwen 1/22/05

• How lucky am I?
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2005, 01:37:20 am »
Thanks for the suggestions. I do think my son has a little bit of reflux. I have a special pillow for him, have raised his crib,  and he is on zantac.

I think I have a new problem though. For the last 2 days it seems that my son has caught on to the extended nap thing (yeah!), and is sleeping most of the day. He is up around an hour and is sleeping anywhere from an 1hr to 2hrs at a time. Sometimes I have to wake him. I am afraid he will switch his days with his nights.

Offline branwen

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2005, 14:32:39 pm »
yay! longer naps!

oh, know that I know he is a refluxer have you tried wedging him on his side? that might be more comfortable?

:?: so is he taking these longer naps but still waking all through the night or are the nights better?

:?: At 2.5 months, 2 hr naps are okay- how many does he have?
Branwen
Mama to Eirwen 1/22/05