Author Topic: At what age do you go to set times for naps  (Read 1389 times)

Offline CaedensMama

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 166
    • Hand Full of Blessings
At what age do you go to set times for naps
« on: November 20, 2005, 21:48:00 pm »
At what time do you try to aim for set times for naps versus an hour or 2 hours since the last one?

We are still working on getting into a routine and so far we are doing okay - with the EASY but it is never the same times each day - it will vary quite a bit. Our days start anywhere from 5:30-7:30 and go from there. The structure is there just at different times! I am kinda trying to aim for morning naps between 9-11 and afternoon naps between 1:30-3:30 (would like 2-4, but we can't make that long yet!) and then a catanp like 5-6ish, bedtime 7-8ish.

Caeden is a little over 5 months and though some days the flex is fine other days I would like to know when the nap will be. Should I try really hard to stick to the same times and just adjust for morning wakings best I can, or go with the flow and he will "grow" into more set times?

Just wondering what has worked for others out there and what I should be aiming for.
Jen
Mama to:
Caeden (6/05)
Colm (3/07)
Alannah (11/08)
Tadhg (8/10)
and Ailish due Sept 16, 2011

Offline thitz

• Showing Appreciation 13
  • Emily and Elliot
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2005, 01:21:52 am »
With my lo, I aim to be within 15mins either side of her nap times.  I started doing this when she was transitioning out of the catnap around 6-7months.  I found I had to stick with set times otherwise her afternoon nap would end at 2:30pm and she'd be up till bedtime.  Needless to say she'd be an impossibly very cranky baby be the end of the day.

I'd say if your lo's naps are going well and there's no night wakings I would leave things as they are. 

Hope that helps, Tarri

Offline CanadianMom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2005, 01:54:26 am »
Liam is about the same age as Caden and he has just started having set times for his naps.  He always gets up somewhere between 7 and 8, and naps at around 9 until 11.  and in the afternoon he naps from about 1 - 3.  A couple of weeks ago he was a 45 min napper- it was making me nuts, but since we started setting the time, it makes it easier for me to know when the window is, and he goes to sleep much more easlily, and stays asleep better.  He won't do a catnap in the later afternoon for me though, but he goes to bed around 6:45.
I don't know if this is helpful or not  :oops:
Lisa

Nikki~Nathan&Danielle

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2005, 02:04:17 am »
Around 6mths I put my two onto set nap times when they had dropped the catnap.  They were able to handle longer activity times without too much of a problem.  So the day may start at 6am or 7am and the first nap is now 9am regardless.  2nd nap is now 12.30-1pm (I keep this one a bit more flexible depending on how Danielle's coping or whatever else is going on in out house).  Bedtime is always 7pm.  I think it comes down a bit to a combination of age and personality too whether or not set nap times.  Also my dd always sleeps for about an hour in the morning and 2-2.5hrs in the afternoon, so she's predictable in her nap lengths which makes it easier to set times I think.

HTH :)

Offline cwolff

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 8
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2005, 04:09:02 am »
I'm going to do set naptimes from now on.  I am hoping it will solve the 45 min naps problems and make life a little easier for everyone.

Offline CaedensMama

• Showing Appreciation 166
    • Hand Full of Blessings
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2005, 14:36:55 pm »
Thanks for the replies - I am thinking set nap times and extending naps to a full nap, not just 45 min may help our nights as well. I am going to start aiming for 9-11 and 1:30-3:30 roughly and see how he does. Some days I am still getting a catnap - usually only if I am out and about and he sleeps in the car though. And it still really helps cause 3 hours is the max he can go - ususally by 2-21/2 he is getting grumpy!

Anymore opinions are welcome though!
Jen
Mama to:
Caeden (6/05)
Colm (3/07)
Alannah (11/08)
Tadhg (8/10)
and Ailish due Sept 16, 2011