Author Topic: Sleep problems for previously Text Book Baby!  (Read 1225 times)

Offline mariaslk

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Sleep problems for previously Text Book Baby!
« on: November 07, 2005, 16:02:12 pm »
My 19/20 month old daughter was a perfect sleeper till recently. I could lay her in her cot at 7.30pm and she would go straight to sleep no problems, no crying at all, actually very happy to go in cot.  Then I went away for a weekend and ever since will not go to sleep on her own.  Whilst I was away she was with daddy and jumped out of her cot twice as she was so fractious and upset. So when I came back I did a bad thing and put her into the spare bed with me and she slept thru till around 5pm and then wanted a drink and would then go back to sleep till around 6.30-7pm. Unfortunately, I have allowed this to go on for a week till we got her a toddler bed as I didn't want her climbing out again in the night.  I've tried putting her in there. She will lie down eventually but wants me to lie next to her till she's asleep.  Then wakes around 4-5am for a drink.  We haven't put her back into the bed yet after she wakes, so she's now used to sleeping in with me or daddy.  Please give me a point by point guide as what to do and I will stick to it.  Oh, also when I put her to bed first (7.30pm) she has been asking for juice/eat/wee-wee, should I give into all or any of these? 
Many thanks
Maria

Offline Johno & Aurelias Mum

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 49
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2005, 12:20:41 pm »
Hi

I haven't all the answers I'm afraid but I noticed you didn't get a quick response.  Hopefully my post will bring it to attention again.

Have you tried going back to square one with the cot and get her back in there with you around, I presume you didn't have any climbing problems when you were at home?  It may be that she will recognise the familiarity of that and you can start on the toddler bed again in a month or so.  Put some pillows/sleeping bags or something on the floor round the cot in case she does fall.

What is she like with you during the day, is she really clingy?
Jenny

Offline elfin

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 5
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2005, 17:06:56 pm »
I agree with Jenny in that you may want to go back to the crib.  Too many changes all at once can wreak havoc on them.  You will probably have to take it very slow to get her falling asleep on her own.  You could try pu/pd or sit next to the crib until she falls asleep, and then gradually work your way out of the room.  It will take a couple of weeks but will be well worth it.

Post back and let us know how things are!
Carrie

Myles 12/06/03

elfin@thebabywhisperer.com

Offline sacmommy

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 7
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2005, 20:32:57 pm »
I'm definitely an advocate for staying in the crib longer. If you're worried about your lo jumping out, try getting a crib tent (eg http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00014PLAY/104-8833345-1318328?v=glance). We got one for my ds when he started climbing out, and it helped a lot.
Rose
Karina - Jan 24, 2004
Calvin - Sept 23, 2001