Author Topic: I´m desperate on feeding time.  (Read 2897 times)

Offline Mom2X&F&V

• Love 2B a mommy
  • BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 14
  • They are huge now!!!
« on: November 21, 2005, 22:25:09 pm »
Hi... it is impossible to feed my dd. She refuses everything that goes near her mouth. Formula, solids, juice. She close her mouth and whenever I tried to put something she weans and gets all fussy. Please help I am really stressed and sad. I´ve tried everything. Can someone tell me if there can be something wrong with her stomach? Any nurses or doctors out there? Feeding time is becoming a nightmare again and again for both of us, I get so stresses that really can´t stop crying when she behaves like that. She can have some solids a day, but then again and again cries. There is no sign of disphagia or reflux so I do not know... Please I can´t take it any more... Any idea on what is possibly happening? She is also sleeping a lot and her A time has decreased. She is not sick or teething and seems hungry... please.... It has been 2 weeks now.    :cry:
Do you think this is enough for her or am I overfeeding:
7 am  5 oz formula
11 am 3 oz of fruit and 2 of yogurt + 3 or 4 oz bottle
3 pm 2 oz of veggies+ 3 oz of milk (she wont accept more)
6 pm 3 oz of fruit + 1 oz of cereal ad milk + 5 oz of formula
This is the schedule of a good day... imagine the bad one...   :(

Offline Tonya

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 252
I´m desperate on feeding time.
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2005, 01:45:30 am »
I'm so sorry!!  That must be incredibly frustrating!!! :cry:  :cry:  :cry:

I don't have experience with this, but am bumping your post in hopes that someone else can help!!

Good luck sweetie!!!
Tonya
Mom to Nathan - "Chunky Butternut", 02/18/04
           Madison - "Princess Pea", 11/29/06

Offline Noelle

• Showing Appreciation 53
  • Eau Claire, WI
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2005, 02:57:37 am »
Hi Daniela  :D

As hard as it is, try not to stress over it.  Babies know when they are full and sometimes they go through periods where they just won't/don't want to drink as much (both of my kiddos did).  Just continue to offer if, along with the solids.  Is she waking at night?  Is she teething?  Teething can cause drinking "strikes".  If you are on a slower nipple you may want to try a faster one.  Let us know how it's going  :D
**Noelle**  Formerly JohnandZoesMom

Offline Mom2X&F&V

• Love 2B a mommy
  • BW Devotee
  • They are huge now!!!
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2005, 13:27:03 pm »
Thanks a lot on your reply. She is not teething and she sleeps the whole night, but I am putting up her calories by giving her to eat rocking her while feeding the bottle. She uses #3 Dr. Brown nipple as she is using an antireflux formula since birth. I have not change it since I wanted to wait till 6 months, and when I switch to a normal one she still vomited. Sould try the normal again? She is no longer on meds as she was ok 2 months ago... But closing her mouth to solids too? She used to love them... Ok I´ll go with the flow and do not force her... see how it goes during the night. Any new suggestion?

Offline CanadianMom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2005, 14:35:13 pm »
Liam who is 1 day younger than your dd did exactly the same thing.  He went for about a week hardly eating.  I just laid off the solids, and gave him his bottles. He is a really big boy and takes 8oz of formula at a time plus solids, so you can imagine how worried I was when he was only taking 3 or 4oz.   He didn't seem to be teething either, but I think he was.  And now he is back to his regular self. 
Lisa

Offline Mom2X&F&V

• Love 2B a mommy
  • BW Devotee
  • They are huge now!!!
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2005, 15:19:53 pm »
Thanks for the answer. I did took away the solids last week, but she was having only 1 or 2 oz. of her bottle. This has been a nightmare. She was eating 7 oz at 4 months and now... I am tired thinking what is wrong and trying everything. I let her go with her eating flow and she cried all night. I force her and she pushes back close her mouth and shouts. So I am as for now waiting this to pass. I am tired of fighting at her feeds, and most of all really sad to see her shaken her arms when she sees a spoon or a bottle. I do not want her to be scared at this point, but if I do not feed her? It has been 2 weeks now. Was your lo sleeping all night while eating less? She simply rejects and closes just by presenting the bottle. Did you have to push the nipple inside his mouth? or give her vitamins to make her hungry...  I really do not know what else to do or how much time more to wait, I am giving spoonfuls of water to prevent dehidratation, but even those she rejects...  Im sorry but really I am desperate now... I´ve seen doctors who told me to force her cause its just

Offline Tonya

• Showing Appreciation 252
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2005, 15:25:25 pm »
I didn't know it was that drastic.  If she is close to going to the hospital, they HAVE to have better answers for you out there than to force her!

However, what I do when ds is really ill with a stomach bug and refuses EVERYTHING - Food, water, milk, etc.  is to squirt pedialyte into his mouth every 15 mins using a medicine dropper.

{{{HUGS}}}}} to you both.  I am so very sorry that you are going through this, and even sorrier that I don't have any sage advice for you! :cry:
Tonya
Mom to Nathan - "Chunky Butternut", 02/18/04
           Madison - "Princess Pea", 11/29/06

Offline Noelle

• Showing Appreciation 53
  • Eau Claire, WI
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2005, 19:42:28 pm »
{{HUGS}}  I don't think that forcing it will help the matter at all  :(   I also don't think changing the formula will make a difference, especially if she's drank it all this time.  I'm not familiar with dr. brown's bottle, is #3 the biggest nipple that they have?  Have you tried waiting 5hrs in between feedings? Maybe she's not as hungry? It sounds like she has started to wake at night now?

From what you describe though, to me it seems like there may be something else wrong - does it seem like she is in pain when she eats? I would try seeing another doctor possibly.  Wish I could help more.  :(
**Noelle**  Formerly JohnandZoesMom

Offline CanadianMom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2005, 22:38:52 pm »
When Liam was on his strike, he was still sleeping through the night.   I would try the pedialite if I were you, and take her to the doctors for sure if it has been that long. 
Sending you ((((((((HUGS)))))))))))))) and Good Luck, let us know how you make out.
Lisa

Offline Lucysmom

• Showing Appreciation 118
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2005, 23:20:31 pm »
Daniela - I just wanted to send you some hugs.  I am so sorry Ximena is refusing to eat.  I really think you should seek out another pediatrician with a better answer than "force her to eat".  Is there a children's hospital you could contact?  I really wish I could help!  If you get really desperate for help you are more than welcome to come here and stay with me as I am close to a great children's hospital.  Hopefully you will get an answer soon and it won't come to that (although you are welcome here anytime  :D ).  Is she pooping regularly? 

Another thought I had was that maybe she does not want to be fed every 4 hours.  Maybe stretch it out to every 5 hours?  Lucy is starting to not seem hungry every 4 hours.  Just a thought.

PLEASE keep us posted.  I am worried about you and your little angel.  Lucy and I send you both hugs and Lucy sends a slobbery kiss!  :lol:

Offline Lucysmom

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2005, 23:27:17 pm »
Daniela - I just read the sticky about disphagia and I know you wrote that there is no sign of disphagia but from what you described it really does sound like she could have it.  I mean she is not normally a fussy baby but gets fussy around eating time and does not want to eat at all.  Have you tried feeding her while she is sleepy?  This may help in the meantime to get some nourishment into her.  I would look into disphagia a bit more as it really does seem like it could be a possibility.  But then again I am not there and cannot get the whole picture but just a thought.  Thinking of you guys....

Offline Mom2X&F&V

• Love 2B a mommy
  • BW Devotee
  • They are huge now!!!
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2005, 23:55:22 pm »
Thanks a lot. This is what makes me feel a little better when things like this happen. I really appreciate your affection signs. I would love to go to your children´s hospital... here I feel desperate. Today Ximena was a tiny itsy bitsy better. At least she drank 9 oz in 2 feeds and a small portion of pears. Now lets see how it goes on her next feed. What if she eats every 5 hours... can it possibly be like that? she barely lasts 2 h of A... she is sleeping almost 2 in 2 naps and 1 of 1 h, but her awake time is of 2 hours and thats it. I am going to see another doctor until saturday... and as she is eating something hospital is not necessary. She is today a little bit constipated, but yesterday she was ok, she did 3 times a day as usual. Don´t now... i really am begging to things get clear an see the sun again, I am blocked out.  Thanks a lot and I´ll tell you how are things going. Send you kisses to both and again thanks for your marvelous reply, sometimes affection heals more than anything else.

Offline Lucysmom

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2005, 02:28:34 am »
Daniela - Oh you are so very sweet.  I am so happy to hear Ximena drank and ate a bit more today.  So I was thinking about how you could maybe stretch out her feeds.  Here is what I came up with....don't know if the times are right for her schedule but here is what I thought.

7 Awake - Eat
9-11 Sleep
12 Eat (5 hours from last feed)
1-3 Sleep
4:30 Eat (4.5 hours from last feed)
Catnap
8 Eat (3.5 hours from last feed)

I really do think though that another doctor's opinion is important.  My husband is a doctor and I described what is going on with Ximena and he said that you should keep trying to find what is causing her eating problems. 

Have to go but please keep us posted.  I am thinking of you and your beautiful little girl.

Offline Matka

• Showing Appreciation 46
  • "Brother's don't shake hands, brother's gotta hug!
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2005, 17:22:41 pm »
Hugs to you.  I'm sorry your having such a rough go it.  I just read the announcement on dysphagia.  Maybe it might give you some answers.

Good luck!
Kathy-Ann
Kathy-Ann
Wife to Big Dude, Mom to Clara the one-eyed Cat, Sean Henry, and Mark Daniel
[img width= height=]http://tac.families.com/ezb/1046198.png[/img]
[img width= height=]http://tac.families.com/ezb/1150719.png[/img]

Offline Lucysmom

« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2005, 14:51:49 pm »
Daniela - How are things with feeding Ximena?  Didn't you see another doctor on Saturday?  I have been thinking of you.  I am hoping things have improved.  Let us know if you get a chance.

Love,

Offline Mom2X&F&V

• Love 2B a mommy
  • BW Devotee
  • They are huge now!!!
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2005, 15:16:56 pm »
Hi... wish I could tell you good news... Yes we went to the doctor, he switch her milk to a lactose free one which she hates even more so now she doesn´t even eat 1 oz. cause she closes her mouth absolutely. He told me just to try it for 5 days. He sent her chicken and yogurt and swiss cheese, bread and cookies, beans and rice, turkey ham and cheese and formula made jell-o with fruit  flavor(which I have to cook now...). This is to put her proteins up and now she is 6 months. He send me blood tests, urine test and poo tests. So now we need to wait til wednesday for results. If this continues, and her results seems ok he is sending the Bario test for the disfagia or reflux issue. So we need to wait. I am mixing her milk with everything possible, but she barely opens her mouth with joy even for solids. So... what cheers me up is that she is happy all day long, sleeping the whole night and her naps, strong, playful  and healthy. She is almost 17 pounds and is very tall for her age. So she is healthy, but something about food is making her dislike it... I´ll keep you informed as long as I know. Thanks again and every day I am praying to find an answer soon.  I really appreciate your concern.
Send kisses to both and a huge thanks.