Author Topic: Isom'smom  (Read 933 times)

Offline Kherzy

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« on: November 22, 2005, 03:21:33 am »
I saw on proudmums post that you mentioned development as a possible factor in the sleep disturbances.  Can you tell me any more about that?  My dd has been waking at night the last week or two and now today has just rolled over for the first tiem.  Could it have been b/c she was getting ready to do this?  I've never heard of this before and was wondering if you could shed some light on it for me?
TIA
Kate

Offline Isom'smom

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 8
  • Tennessee
Isom'smom
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2005, 13:07:52 pm »
I am flattered you asked specifically for me. :oops:  :D   The developmenal side of night wakings.....  My understanding is that because their little bodies and brains are taking in so much information and trying new things out (remember this is their first time in this world) and all the lactic acid build up in the muscles from working out muscles previously unused and brain synapses making connections, that even when they sleep they are working very hard and growing.  Isom would always practice in his sleep.  I would hear him talk himself awake (heck I do that too)  or he'd roll over in his sleep and wake himself up.  Right before he started scooting it was terrible; he would scoot until his head whacked the side of his crib and that would wake him up - even with the crib bumpers.  He doesn't usually wake up at night anymore unless he's sick, but he's about ready to start walking.  I can tell because it's so much harder to settle him for bed.  His little legs just spaz out and he gets really frustrated cause all he wants to do is go to sleep.  The other night I had to hold him til he fell asleep so I could contain his legs for him.  Right before he passed out, he gave me a kiss on my jaw, like oh thank you for helping, I really needed it.  Last night he passed out half way through his bottle.  He cried out around 11.30, but settled himself within 30 seconds. 

The trick is being consistent.  If LO knows what to expect, life is much easier for both of you.  If Isom is having a rough time, I give him big cuddles and then lie him down to see if he can work it out.  I leave the room for five minutes (as he finds my presence distracting)  and if he's still going after the five, I go in and attempt the shush/firm hand, and if that doesnn't work, we just start from the top again with extra gentle snuggles.  I usually need five minutes away to calm myself so I can give him good sleepy vibes, esp. if I've had a stressful day. 

Gosh, sorry that's so long.  It's probably more info than you wanted, but HTH,

Crystal

Offline Kherzy

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2005, 14:26:36 pm »
Thank you so much for the information and advice!
Kate