Author Topic: Help! My baby wakes up from 2h00 am every hour!!!  (Read 1989 times)

Offline sofianavas

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Help! My baby wakes up from 2h00 am every hour!!!
« on: November 11, 2005, 17:15:34 pm »
Hi There, my 10 months old baby used to sleep pretty well for the whole night but for some strange reason that I can not find why, three weeks ago, begun waking up at night. It is strange but at 2h00 am he wakes up and then every hour. I try to feed him but he does not want to, so I just put my hand in his chest with little movements and he falls asleep. If I am so unlucky and he has not slept yet and I leave his room, he began crying like someone is kicking him so I return to his side and keep my hand moving in his chest.
I asked the doctor and he said to leave the baby crying but you can imagine how it is to keep your ears shut while your dear wakes up all the neighborhood.
Do you have any advise?
Thanks a lot!
Sofia
Felipe

Offline Katet

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2005, 02:40:22 am »
Sounds like seperation anxiety so letting him cry would probably make it worse.  I think you need to keep doing what you are doing to reassure him you come back & give him lots of time & attention in the day... the more you reassure him in the day & night the sooner he will learn you are there for him & not need you at night
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline jandk's mom

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2005, 01:49:45 am »
I am having somewhat of the same problem. My 5wk old son sleeps a good stretch from 10pm til 2-3am, but then wakes every hour after. We are exhausted and wondering if anyone has any tips. Also- wondering about cluster feeding. How should we go about that? Just offering the bottle every hour in evening??? Also- tried the dreamfeed one night, tickled his lips with the nipple, but he wouldn't open up for a feed. Any tricks to that??? Thanks in advance!

Offline Katet

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2005, 01:53:50 am »
JandK's mom. With your 5week old, what happens when he wakes at 2/3am? do you feed as a baby that young does need to be fed as often as 3-4 hours overnight.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05

Offline cierasky

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2005, 14:36:22 pm »
My guess is teething. When my DD is teething she constantly wakes up at night. Sometimes I just retuck her in with her teddy and she is fine (till the next wake up anyhow) other times she is screaming like crazy. Not sure how committed you are to the EASY routine but things like this are different, I think you do what you need to do to comfort your baby when something is wrong. Of course, put them back down when they are settled. We use ibuprofen (Advil) for teething. Works fairly well, better than anything else we have tried.
Mommy to Katelyn, 15 months and baby on the way May 2006!

Offline jandk's mom

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2005, 16:13:46 pm »
Thanks for the reply! Yes, I do feed him at the 2-3am waking. The problem I have is when he wakes after he goes back down from that feed every hour. Any suggestions?

Offline sofianavas

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2005, 17:13:09 pm »
Thank you all for your advises. Know what? After some more days of having very "nice" nights, I realized that I was running too quickly to see him when he was just beginning to cry so, after being sure that he was warm, very good fed and all fine, one night I let him  cry a little more and then he felt asleep again!!!! There was another kind of cry that night and I had to stop myself to not run to him and he continued sleeping after a few seconds! It was magic!
After that, he has been sleeping for all night again. Also, I wake up at 6h00 am and give him a full bottle and continue sleeping for two more hours.
Thanks again for your help.
Now I can say I am sleeping as a baby!
Bye
Felipe