Author Topic: I feel so defeated  (Read 1053 times)

Offline CT Mommy

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 5
I feel so defeated
« on: November 22, 2005, 21:11:00 pm »
Hi all-

I am having the worst afternoon and feel completely defeated.  My second child, a ds was born 4 weeks early (no problems with health or delivery) and I've had him on easy since we came home from the hospital (day 3).  I subscribed to easy with my dd, so you'd think I knew what I was doing, but I feel that his schedule is total chaos.  He doesn't sleep very long day or night.  IN fact, I haven't gotten more than 2 straight hours of sleep in 11 weeks!  Dreamfeed doesn't work at all.  He still wakes up 3 hours later.  During the day is worse,doesn't need to eat that often, but when he wakes after only 30 minutes I feel compelled to feed him again consistent with EASY.  So now I have a cat napper and a snacker!  I feel like a wreck!  Plus I have a 21 month old running around! 

I know that as an 11 week old premie, he is really 7 weeks developmentally.  But given his weight, shouldn't he be sleeping longer at night?  Shouldn't he be able to nap during the day?

What the heck am I doing wrong??  We've been doing this for over 10 weeks, he falls asleep on his own, his room is dark, he sleeps in his crib.  Will it just take more time for him to organize both his day and night sleep (according to Weisbluth?).  Why isn't EASY working??

HELP!

Offline Deb_in_oz

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 615
  • personal development blogger
I feel so defeated
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2005, 22:27:57 pm »
HI Nicole,

You sound very tired - aren't we all - I think premies are a very specific bunch and although you don't have twins... there is good advice to be had from some of the ladies on the multiples board - especially woopster (the mod).

see the thread below that was just this week
http://www.babywhisperer.com/forum/premature-baby-vp310022.html?highlight=#310022

i think you have to start thinking about your lo as her adjusted age - later on she will probably catch up, but for now, if i understand posts i have read over the months, since she is 7 weeks adjusted she is still n the early stages and will still be having very little "routine", eating and sleeping a lot, etc

Quote (selected)
But given his weight, shouldn't he be sleeping longer at night? Shouldn't he be able to nap during the day?

"shoulds" can drive us crazy...  For a 7 week old waking every 3 hrs after DF is totally normal.  as far as not napping - i think either woopster/other moms of premies or the nap moderators can work with you on that - i woudl not be qualified to know what a reasonable expectation woudl be  :?
Debra - a New Yorker living in Australia married to a Brit

dd1 - Textbook/Angel, born July 2003
dd2 - Spritied through & through, born Feb 2005

Check out my website:   Home Life Simplified
Like my Facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/HomeLifeSimplified