Author Topic: amount and frequency of botte feeds  (Read 1164 times)

Offline r1ch

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: November 22, 2005, 17:19:16 pm »
Once again I need help, my 3month old baby as been bottel feed for the past 2 weeks she started on a formula for new babies I gave her the recomandated amounts ie 4oz every 4 hours but she never completes the feed and has 3oz furthermore she needs feeding in between every hour drinking 1oz so I started giving her a heavy forula for newborn babeis thinking it was not satisfying her now she should be taking 5oz every 4 hours and is only taking 2oz what is wrong with her or where am I going wrong.

Offline Kimberly®

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 126
amount and frequency of botte feeds
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2005, 17:57:39 pm »
My LO is also 3 months old and drinks like that often. As long as your LO is gaining weight like they should there's nothing to worry about.
How big is your LO? how much she weigh?
The recomended amount is just that a recomendation. She may not be ready for more just yet. Some eat more some less. My LO eats 3 some feedings and 5 at others. Just giver her what she wants.
Is your LO fussy when she eats? Does she perhaps need a different nipple?
I'm assuming she's been breast fed till now?
What formula do you use? Brand? Soy? Milk Based?
What about spitting up? Is there a lot? Moderate? Only when jolsted exc.
I don't think there is anything wrong with your LO she just isn't ready for bigger feeding yet.
I know thats a lot of questions but they may help.
Kimberly

Offline Noelle

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 53
  • Eau Claire, WI
Re: amount and frequency of botte feeds
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2005, 19:20:27 pm »
Quote from: r1ch
furthermore she needs feeding in between every hour drinking 1oz

I may have read this wrong, but does this mean you are feeding every hour in between the 4?  If so, she is snacking and is the reason she probably won't take a large amount at the four hour.  At 3 months, she may need to feed closer to every 3 hours.  If she is taking an ounce or so every hour, try holding her off to the 3 hour mark.  You might see that she takes a bit more then.  :D
**Noelle**  Formerly JohnandZoesMom

Offline r1ch

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2005, 20:26:35 pm »
Thanks for your help guys I really appriciate the advice, baby bink was breast fed from birth due to her irregular feed patern I introduced formla top up's at 4 weeks per advice from my health visitor.  At 10 weeks I was not sure if the breast milk was sufficient as baby bink would feed on each breast for 40min and take a 4oz top up, at alternative feeds I would give her just the formula and she would still take just 4 oz, at the weeks have gone by her milk in take has not increased.  Baby bink is now 3 months I have managed to set her routine at 4 hours however she is still only drinking the 4oz.  The formula milk is cow based, I use teats which are suitable for 3mths+ allowing a variable flow.  Baby bink's weight gain is satisfactory however she is underweight for her height!  I wonder if her feeding will improve once I introduce solids? 
God bless  :lol: