Author Topic: Milk supply? Help! Long, sorry  (Read 1706 times)

Offline RachelC

• Girl Scout Extraordinaire
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 865
Milk supply? Help! Long, sorry
« on: November 22, 2005, 20:15:48 pm »
Long one... sorry

Ok, I'm scared that my milk supply is drying up.  I don't want to give up on breast feeding.  My lo is wanting to eat all the time (since Sunday).  She was on a 2.5/3 hour EASY, but Sunday started a 2 hr EASY... thought growth spurt and the fact that she is running a little cold is not helping.  So, I started pretty much feeding on demand, not pushing the 2.5 hour mark following a nap.  Sunday night she slept great.  Last night was looking good (after eating at least every 1.5 hours all afternoon).  She went down by 7, I dream fed at 8:30 and then my husband was going to df at 11, but she woke up at 10:50 and then she only took 2.5 oz (he can usually get her to take the whole 4, or at least 3.5).  She was then up at 2:30 (she had been making it until 4:30) and I fed her (still thinking growth spurt and cold).  I then fed her again at 5:30.  She then slept until 8:30 (I didn't have the heart to wake her earlier... and was enjoying the time with my older dd).  She went down for a nap at 9:10 and I went up to wake her at 11:30 and she was just as happy as can be (she's usually a grouch until I feed her after I wake her).  I was thinking that this whole crazy feeding thing was over... NOPE.  Fed her at 11:30.  Nap 12:20.  Awake and screaming for food 1:30.  Fed her, but there wasn't a whole lot for her to take since I had just pumped at 12:30 (trying to help her increase the supply).  I had to take her off the breast at 1:50 since my older one spilled cough medicine on the bed (it's been a day)... she wasn't getting anything anyway, but I was letting her suckle to stimulate the milk.  Once I got the older one down for a nap I fed lo the milk i had pumped (at 9:45 and 12:30) a total of 2.5 oz.  By this time she was yawning alot so I changed her diaper and got her down for a nap.  When I pumped at 2:40 I got less than one oz... that's not going to be enough to top her off at the next feed, considering she took 2.5 last time and seemed as though she was still looking for more when I put her down for a nap.
I feel like I need to feed her more often, especially b/c of the cold.  But I also feel like we are going to end up snacking.  My dh said last night, "Maybe we need to supplement"  I really don't want to go there.  I know my body can do this (I successfully bf my older one until a week passed her 1st bday... and she self weened).  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks for reading all the way to the bottom  :D
~Rachel
BTW she is 10 weeks old

Proud to have breastfed for a combined total of 35 months

Offline Linda74

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2005, 22:07:56 pm »
Hi...this is my first time responding to someone's question...so here it goes and I hope it helps...

I went through a similiar situation where I thought my milk supply was low as well.  I took an herbal supplement, which is safe during BF.  It's called Blessed Thistle.  You can also take Fenugreek as well.  You can buy these at health food stores.  It take a few weeks to notice an increase of supply.  I found the following website very helpful and has tonnes of info on breastfeeding.  http://www.breastfeedingonline.com/  Take a look at the handouts from Dr. Jack Newman. 

Linda

annamum

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2005, 23:42:34 pm »
This really seems to be a growth spurt. Combined with not feeling well or just recovering from a cold. I would still feed her on demand, sometimes it takes longer to up your supply, some growth spurts take even up to 2 weeks.

As for pumping, right now, she is working on your supply, everything you produce goes into her, that's why you can't pump really much. A few weeks ago we had a similar post about it. Actually, it seems that with a first child women may have an oversupply and tend to be able to pump much more. With a second one, their supply levels off and they produce exactly as much as their baby needs. Combine this with a growth spurt, you may end up being tied down by a hungry baby most of the time for a couple of days.

If you seriously worry about your supply you may try Fenugreek and Blessed Thistle, as Linda mentioned. These are safe herbs and were used over centuries by lactating women.

Offline RachelC

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2005, 01:54:50 am »
Thanks for the advice.
Should I be concerned about starting a snacking habit?  She doesn't seem to take what used to be a full feed each time.  (I'll find out more tomorrow as I am leaving her with my husband for the afternoon).  Should I continue to pump an hour after feeds, or should I just let her work on the increase?  She sometimes seems hungry right before a nap (about an hour after last feed), should I feed her then too?  Would that be encouraging BF to sleep?
I feel like my breasts are never "full".  Last night I did pump 4+ oz, which I hadn't done in awhile, but that was out of my "good" breast.  My right one doesn't do as well as the left.  I need to keep up that 4 oz pumping so that she can get the dreamfeed.  Will that milk come back too?  I used to be able to  pump 6 oz at night.
Thanks

Offline LindseysMom

• Showing Appreciation 9
  • Lincolnton, NC, USA
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2005, 02:31:20 am »
Hello, hear is some helpful info from http://www.kellymom.com.  I really think what you are experiencing as far as " not feeling full" and "not pumpimg that much" is normal.  Your supply levels off around this time so you don't feel as full.   Hope you have time to check out the articles, I think you will feel better after reading them. 

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/low-supply.html#supply

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/breast-fullness.html

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/pumping_decrease.html
Lynne
Registered Nurse now Sahm
Mom to Lindsey Elizabeth 10/28/04
Baby girl due December 8th

Offline RachelC

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2005, 13:54:51 pm »
Thanks Lynne, that info from kellymom was very helpful and reassuring.  Especially after I pumped less than an oz last night.

Offline LindseysMom

• Showing Appreciation 9
  • Lincolnton, NC, USA
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2005, 14:49:23 pm »
You welcome.  I remember how frustrating it can be.  When Lindsey was a newborn to about 2 months I would pump after every nursing session just about and would get so frustrated because I would not get hardly any milk out.  But now I know that  was normal, especially since she was feeding on demand full time.  I was pumping to increase my supply. She had latch issues early on too and did not gain much weight so I had to supplement for a while too.    You may want to pump right after each feed instead of waiting an hour.  THat way you will know for sure that when the next feed comes you will have enough milk.  You will not get much milk but the extra stimulation will produce more milk.  not for long either, only about 5-10 minutes after your lo feeds. 

I finally gave up on pumping and supplementing after she was about 2 months old.  I just fed her whenever nothing else worked or if I knew she would be getting hungry.  She ate every 2-2.5 hours for the longest time.     I think finally around 3 months she could go a bit longer but usually just 3 hours or so.  she did not go 4 hours between feeds until she started solids. 

Hang in there, I am sure your supply is fine.  Also, if you worry about not getting any milk out with a pump then that makes it harder for you to letdown and realease mik so try not to worry about it.   I had to listen to classical music to try and make myself relax when pumping.  Although I must say i was a nervous wreck of a first time Mom too.  :wink:
Lynne
Registered Nurse now Sahm
Mom to Lindsey Elizabeth 10/28/04
Baby girl due December 8th

Offline Lara's Mum

• Showing Appreciation 19
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2005, 15:40:22 pm »
Hey there..... just wanted to let u know that what u are feeling is normal, i'm going through the same phase, but unfortunately i've had to supplement. (Hope u don't reach that stage). Don't worry, everybody says it'll turn out fine, do try the herbs mentioned. Good luck
Shahira
Mum to Lara, Born 13/10/05
Spirited Textbook Libran

Offline RachelC

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2005, 20:18:09 pm »
I think we're back on track.  Growth spurt appears to be over and the cold is dissapating.  Milk supply seems good.  I've continued to pump at the same time each night (for a dream feed the next night) and that milk seems to have "come back".  I'm back to getting 3-4+ ozs a night.  I have even successfully pumped before leaving the house so I can give a bottle in the mall while out... sometimes that's just easier. 
We ran into a small snag... The other night we put her to bed around 7, I snuck in and dream fed at 8:50.  At 11 she wanted nothing to do with her dream feed from my husband.  Tried again at 11:30... nothing.  We thought for sure she'd be up at 1 or 1:30.  We went to bed and the next thing we knew, it was 5:30... WOW!  She had slept 10.5 hours!  Of course, it hasn't happened again.  Last night she refused the 11 dream feed and was up at 1:30.  My husband got her back to sleep and she slept until 2:45.  With the 11 dream feed she would make it to 3:30 or 4:30.  Off to the next battle   :roll: