Author Topic: Awake at 4.30am ?  (Read 1998 times)

Offline corrina01

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 84
  • Norfolk, UK
Awake at 4.30am ?
« on: November 19, 2005, 10:09:24 am »
My DD, is starting to wake at 4.30am but not hungry, I think it could be either;

a) she is on a 3.5hr EASY, and she wants to be moved to a 4hr EASY, but bearing in mind she can stay awake now for 1.30 hr instead of 1.15hr.  If that is the case, she will be having 2 x 2.30hr (if I am lucky) and 1 x 45mins.
b) she is cold, as the bad weather approaches.
or
c) she needs solids to help her through. As a) above suggests that she isn't ready to go to a 4hr EASY.

She used to sleep till 7am when I used to wake her and get her up.

Any suggestions as to why she is waking up at 4.30am.
Corrina
Mum to Faith
A very spirited toddler with a touch of angel

Offline Noelle

• Showing Appreciation 53
  • Eau Claire, WI
Awake at 4.30am ?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2005, 12:58:48 pm »
HI  :D
Does she awake happy??  Alot of babies will wake between 4-6 to play for a little bit, but left alone, will go back to sleep.....
**Noelle**  Formerly JohnandZoesMom

Offline corrina01

• Showing Appreciation 84
  • Norfolk, UK
Awake at 4.30am ?
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2005, 09:02:04 am »
Yes, she awakes and is happy, but it seems odd that she has now started to wake again at 4.30am when she slept till 7am.  I will see how it goes.  :)
Corrina
Mum to Faith
A very spirited toddler with a touch of angel

Offline sadiebean

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
Awake at 4.30am ?
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2005, 13:59:49 pm »
John and Zoe's Mom --
My son (6 mos) wakes at 5:30 and thinks he's up for the day. The time change didn't help (this used to be 6:30, and that was manageable). I nurse him a bit and put him back in his crib. Sometimes he goes back to sleep. But more often he calls for me, talks and "sings" on and off until I get him up, usually around 7-7:30.

Though he doesn't cry, this throws his day off. This morning for instance I got him up at 7:15 and he was ready for a nap at 8:30. I kept him up until 8:45 but usually he can stay awake 2hr 15min.

FYI - he's ready to go to bed at night at 6-6:30pm, though I try to keep him up a bit to see if that helps in the morning (not so far...)

Also - he gets a 10-10:30 DF, and even still often wakes for a snack at night, so I don't THINK he's overly hungry...?

Should I just get him up at 5:30??
Are there ways to get him to sleep later besides pu/pd (which seems strange to use on a smiley awake baby)??

(His daytime schedule is screwy, as he takes short naps. I'm ready again to tackle extending his naps after taking a few week break from sleep training. But now I don't know which problem I should tackle first!)

Thanks for any thoughts!!
Ann

Offline sadiebean

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
Awake at 4.30am ?
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2005, 14:08:32 pm »
Ok, I should have read more posts before asking my question, as it is obviously a common problem.

Sounds like I should try:
- Wake to sleep at 5am or so
- A later dream feed
- An earlier bedtime (though, earlier than 6:30?!... maybe it's keeping him up till 7pm that has him funked up)

The issue beyond my lack of sleep is the impact on the rest of the day (of letting him "play" and throwing off his awake time). I am SOOOO ready for a structure to our day! : )

Does this sound about right?

Offline hangmei

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
happily awak b/w 3:30 - 5am???
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2005, 21:19:04 pm »
My Jasmine is four months old. For three nights in a roll, she woke up at around 3:30am and after a feed stays up till 5am. She is already on a 4hr schedule. Her naps are usually 1.5-2hrs. I cluster feed her at 5 and 7, and recently introduced rice cereal to her at 6. Her DF is around 10:20. My question is why isn't she going back to sleep as she used to after a feed when she wakes up at 3:30? She looks awfully playful, talks, yaps. The noise machine (white noise or lullabies) don't seem to work any more either. At 5am she gets tired and goes back to sleep until 8.

Any suggestions how to put her back to sleep?

Offline Noelle

• Eau Claire, WI
Awake at 4.30am ?
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2005, 03:51:49 am »
Sadiebean  :D

It sounds like the time change may have threw him off a bit...hopefully that will go back to normal.  With a 6:-6:40 bedtime, I too wouldn't go earlier..if anything, later like you tried. 

You are BF right?  If so, I  think I have read where some babies still wake at night for a feed, but not sure if they are still having the dreamfeed as well?  Does he wake at the same time every night?  If so...probably a habit...??  I wouldn't worry about making the df later.  You actually want to hopefully cut this out at around 7 months :D   You could try the wake to sleep for the 5AM waking.  Since he is waking happy though, I would let him play until he was really fussing to feed (hopefully 6-6:30)....eventually it should work itself out (eventually meaning as much as a few weeks  :wink:  :D ) By continuing to feed him at 5:30, he may be waking just for the feed.  Your days will probably be a little wacky, throwing EASY off a bit but it's ok to tweak it.  As long as you don't feed to sleep, you are on the right track.  EASY is mainly to prevent feeding to sleep/overfeeding and helps you read their cues better  :D

HTH  :D

Offline Noelle

• Eau Claire, WI
Awake at 4.30am ?
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2005, 03:54:38 am »
Hangmei  :D

Hmmm...not sure why she isn't going back to sleep...  what time is bedtime?  Does she fall back to sleep on her own?

With my kiddos, I did pu/pd with them if need be at night.  You might want to check out that forum for some tips :D