Author Topic: How many children share bedrooms?  (Read 1156 times)

Offline Lisa (Nathans Mum)

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 10
  • My three beautiful babies xxx
How many children share bedrooms?
« on: November 22, 2005, 21:50:54 pm »
We currently live in a two bedroomed house, it's a lovely house but dh and i bought it before we were married and three yers before Nathan came a long.

Due to the massive rise in house prices in the UK we can't really afford to buy a bigger house and still have a life at the moment . We have been thinking about TTC again though next year and if we did get pregnant it would mean eventually Nathan and the baby would have to share the 2nd bedroom. Just wondering how people coped with a small baby and a toddler in the same room, waking each other and such.

Wilsmon

« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2005, 22:17:57 pm »
We also live in a two bedroom and our ds and dd share a room.  However, dd was almost 5 when ds was born so I don't have the toddler and baby dilema.  The room sharing was a big reason there are so many years between the two.  We kept thinking we would get a bigger house built - still hasn't happend, although I think we have the ability to go ahead - but that's another rant!

Anyway, I also have alot of friends that had kids that shared rooms (we live in a small agriculture commuity with lots of small, older farm homes).  They finally convinced me that the older ones would sleep through alot of the babies wakings.  I had another mom on a different board equate it to co-sleeping (family bed) also, where everyone gets used to the noises.

My dd will sleep through almost everything....hmmm.... must take after her father!  I had ds in the bassinet next to me until 3 mos when he was down to two wakings (then up to 4-5, back to one for the now).  When we finally started with some sleep coaching we did move her into our room for a few nights, and on some bad nights she still ends up there (mostly b/c I feel bad for her and move her - not b/c she wakes up), but so far this hasn't become a habit.  At this point (ds is 9 mo) we put him down first and that seems to work.  I also run a humidifier in the winter and a window cooler in the summer for some white noise.

Long and short - I wonder some nights if the room sharing doesn't wake one or the other up but I don't think, in my case, it is a major problem.  I am also very happy we went ahead and had the second like we had always planned.  I think eventually they get used to it. 

Hope this helps.  Let me know if you have any more questions.\

Jennifer

Offline GG

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 103
  • Chicagoland, IL
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2005, 22:19:49 pm »
A friend of mine has her baby in the same room as her toddler.  Her baby has an angel personality, so it's the toddler that wakes her sister up more than the other way around!  I think, to a certain extent, how they affect each other will depend on their personalities.
Georgia, mom to 3 sweet babes: touchy Foti, spirited Lena & not-so-tiny Joanna

Offline Jennyjn

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2005, 22:33:00 pm »
We bought our house when ds one 1 1/2 and it's a two bedroom.  Then when ds was 3 1/2 along came dd.  We wanted to buy a bigger place before dd gets too big, but looks like it will be a while.   

So for the first 3-4 months of dd life she was in our room.  Then moved her into ds room. Things are working ok.  Nighttime works fine,  Naps are alittle different.  Alot of times we put ds in our room and put dd in their room.  Now that ds doesn't always need a nap or just has quiet time it's easier to have him in a seperate room. It's less disruptive to dd.

We also about 2 months after they moved in together switched rooms.  We took the smaller one and gave them the bigger room.  Which has made it much easier with all their stuff!  It also makes for a nice play area.

HTH

Offline CanadianMom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 6
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2005, 22:47:39 pm »
My oldest two share a room- they have never unintentionally woken one another up, no matter how hard they have been screaming.  From time to time, one decides that the other should be up too, and wakes them on purpose. 
Not helpful with a baby sharing though.  The baby screaming has never woken up the other two either though.  Pretty sound sleepers at my house.
Lisa

Diego's Mama

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2005, 02:16:40 am »
Ours share, 3.75 years and 1.25 years and they both LOVE it!  I don't ever imagine separating them.  :)

We started with naps and moved to bedtime later..... worked out flawlessly.

:)