Author Topic: 5 mos old and 6 naps a day? Help!  (Read 1113 times)

Offline mstormin

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: November 21, 2005, 15:52:41 pm »
DS will be 5 mos old at the end of this month.  He's a 45min napper-- usually once a day we can get him to take a longer nap thru pu/pd.
The problem is that he takes 6-7 45min naps every day!  In btwn these naps he can only stand to stay up for 1:15 or less.

I brought this up with the ped and he suggested that I start to set a very strict routine with set times for eating and 3-4 naps.  So, if he wakes after 45min and won't go to bed then he stays up until the next schedule nap.  The problem is that this would mean that he could be up for 3-4 hours~  he'll never make it!

Has anyone tried this?  Or tried something else that might help?  I'm getting frustrated b/c not only is it hard to get anything done in 45min, I also feel constricted to the house b/c his awake time is so short too!  Help!

Other details that might help:
He's EBF every 3.5 hrs, goes to bed at 7:15/30 every night.
I've tried pu/pd, wake to sleep, sneaking in to plug in his nuk at the 45min mark, white noise, keeping him up longer, shorter... nothing seems to work.

TIA!
Mary

Offline Deb_in_oz

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 615
  • personal development blogger
5 mos old and 6 naps a day? Help!
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2005, 02:27:22 am »
ok - some questions from me - babies temperment?  has he ever napped longer than 45 min - at what age did it change?  how is he overnight?

i agree with the ped to some degree and think we need to do some work to eliminate some catnaps and consolidate a bit... will help you find the middle ground so he can get there without it being an overnight change to a drastic schedule shift

Deb
Debra - a New Yorker living in Australia married to a Brit

dd1 - Textbook/Angel, born July 2003
dd2 - Spritied through & through, born Feb 2005

Check out my website:   Home Life Simplified
Like my Facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/HomeLifeSimplified

Offline mstormin

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2005, 14:00:01 pm »
Thanks Deb!
Patrick is definitely a spirited child!  He can also finish BF in less than 10min so I think he probably plays longer and more actively than the average kid his age.

He started the 45min napping at about 6wks old.  About once a week he'll sleep past the 45min mark without even a stir-- I try and rack my brain for what I did differently but it doesn't appear to be anything!

He goes to sleep around 7:15/30, give him a df @10:30.  Some nights he sleeps thru to 6:30/7 without a peep and other nights I go in and plug him in or roll him over 2-3 times a night.

Thanks so much for your help!!!
Mary

Offline Deb_in_oz

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 615
  • personal development blogger
5 mos old and 6 naps a day? Help!
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2005, 02:58:50 am »
oh these spirited ones- there seem to be so many of them too  :roll:

Quote (selected)
I try and rack my brain for what I did differently but it doesn't appear to be anything!
don't rack your brain too hard - think with spiriteds it is in their nature just to keep us on our toes.  at one stage i knew olivia woudl do at least 1 longer nap per day (from 3-5 mo there were even 2hr 15 min once a day usually) the problem was it could be any of her naps not always the same one  :roll:

i think given age and temperment and current A time of 1hr 15 it is time to try to extend A time but not drastically all in 1 day - we can do it over the next few days - a week depending on how he responds.  what he might be going through is a catch 22 situation where he is stuck at a short A time so only sleeps a short while because he "knows" he does not need a big nap to get through another cycle - and then since he has only slept 45 min he only has enough energy for a short A time KWIM?

so - i propose you keep his 1st A time the same as it has been or maybe 5-10 min longer and see how that goes.  if he wakes after 45 min:
 :arrow: if happy and not crying - leave to resettle himself or rest in cot for up to another 45 min unless he starts getting upset.  (this is exactly what i did with LIv at this age - as long as she was awake and not upset i left her in there so at least she was not getting stimulation for 1hr 30)
 :arrow: if he is awake and is crying = really does need to get more sleep - you can try pat and /or shh to get him to sleep another cycle
either way he spends 1hr 30 in bed no matter what

then for his next A time let's try to stretch him to 1hr 30 at least.  if he seems ok then try for 1hr 35-40.  you can spend the last 1/2 hr doing very little if necessary (sit outside or by a window with him and talk about what you see - not a lot of talking, just mention the trees or birds...) or go for a walk, etc just to stretch him but without active play time.

same again for the nap - 1hr 30 in cot no matter what

try aiming to carry this for next cycle again

so if he started day at 6:30 (as an example) and based on your 3.5 EASY feeding (adjust if start day later): obviously if he sleeps longer than 1hr 30   :lol: let him go up to 2hr 15 (3 cycles)
6:30/7 eat
A time 1hr 15 approx.
7:45 windown for sleep
8-9:30 sleep or rest time
up from 9:30
10am E
A time 1hr 30 - 1hr 40 (last 1/2 hr really super low key)
11ish windown for sleep
11:15 - 12:45 ish sleep or rest time
E between 1-1:30pm if he can wait the 3.5 hr
A time approx 1hr 30-40
2:30-4 sleep or rest time
   the last part of the day really comes down to your disctretion and how everythign went during the day.  often the late afternoon was when olivia would sleep best so her "catnap" woudl be 1-2hrs afetr having had 45 min naps rest of the day...  sometimes what i woudl do here is that if she was only sleeping 45 min at the nap before the catnap slot i woudl just get her up so that she woudl be tired at the "right" time to have a catnap (ie 4pm ish). you just have to use your judgement sometimes - if he woke at 7 and by the time you get to the catnap slot it is 5pm you can give a short nap or keep him up for longer A time and move bedtime forward to 6-6:30  KWIM?

anyway this gives you an idea of where i was heading.

i figure if you see how he copes reasonably (not expecting perfection  :wink: ) with the increase in A time
try to increase further after 3 days... aiming to get morning to 1hr 30 and others to 1hr 45 - 2hrs over time, let's see how days 1-3 go though -let me know what you want to do and what the results are... and i will try to help more.  i know how easy it is to get stuck at A time with a spirited one - for oliviait seemed she was never gradual - she stuck for ages and then jumped.  to give you an idea ours were:
7weeks - 3mo 45 min - 1hr max
3-4mo 1hr 15
5 mo 1hr 30 - 1hr 40 (this is when we jumped to 3.5 - 4 hr EASY)
6 mo 2hrs
7 mo plus - 1st A 2-2.5 hrs, 2nd 2.5- 3, 3rd 3-4 1/2 hrs
Debra - a New Yorker living in Australia married to a Brit

dd1 - Textbook/Angel, born July 2003
dd2 - Spritied through & through, born Feb 2005

Check out my website:   Home Life Simplified
Like my Facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/HomeLifeSimplified