Author Topic: 4S nap routine interrupted by sibling  (Read 1226 times)

Offline moosemom

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
4S nap routine interrupted by sibling
« on: November 23, 2005, 04:33:50 am »
Having good luck introducing 4-hour EASY with our nearly 5-month old, but struggling to follow-through with naps and nights when our 3-year-old is either interrupting me as I help baby settle or PU/PD crying wakes the preschooler at night.  I can't be in both places at once and don't have consistent help from my spouse.  As consistency is the building block of PU/PD, I'm not sure what to do.  My older son is a good boy,  and tries to be patient and quiet but he is 3 and can only last so long waiting.  Any suggestions?

Offline Taylor's Mommy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 17
  • Long Beach, CA
    • http://www.taylormadellc.com
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2005, 06:06:06 am »
HI There,

I can't say I understand exactly what you are going through, only having one myself to contend with, but I can certainly empathize.  I know how much time this stuff takes.  I did read a post the other day from another moderator with 2 children and she had some great suggestions:

one of the most helpful things i discovered was to get their afternoon naps to fall at the same time. that way, #1 was at least corralled in her room (and hopefully sleeping!) while i tried to sleep train #2. i put TONS of effort into pat/shh, etc. during that time because i didn't have to worry about #1 interrupting, getting into trouble, etc. i also then didn't stress so much if i couldn't spend tons of time in the morning sleep training.

other ideas:
- corral a safe (super childproofed) space outside the baby's room but within earshot for you. fill it with toys & let her go to it
- create a busy box of "special" toys that only come out while you try & put #2 down.
- get #1 a doll and have them try and teach their baby to sleep too. (my first is quite the expert now  )
- convice someone (or hire someone) to come & play with the older child so you can focus on the younger one.
- if all else fails... dvds. remember, you won't have to sleep train forever & can cut back on the time later.

I applaud you on all your hard work and it sounds like you are doing a great job. 

Does anyone else with 2 lo's have any other tips/advice for moosemom?

Good luck and hope that helps a little  :)
Andrea
Taylor-Textbook Baby
DOB 04/19/05

Sydney-too soon to tell, but looking EASY
DOB 05/20/07

Offline moosemom

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2005, 18:53:25 pm »
Thanks for your reply and ideas.  Fortunately, the baby goes down fast in the morning and sleeps 1.5 hours or more.  The afternoon is the big challenge when he wakes after 45 minutes and big brother is sleeping right next door and gets woken up by the crying.  Then everyone is awake and grumpy while I am trying to shush-pat or pu/pd.  I'll keep watching for more suggestions.  I haven't found any ideas in the books.

Offline Meg's Mom

• Showing Appreciation 30
  • our girls
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2005, 21:35:43 pm »
The afternoon is the big challenge when he wakes after 45 minutes and big brother is sleeping right next door and gets woken up by the crying.

You could try white noise in both rooms to block out the sounds.  We use a Honeywell Turbo fan and sound machine (i got tired of the dogs barking and wake dd!).  Don't know where you live but they sell them at Target here and the fan makes a good racket but it is also soothing.

Hope that helps and others with two can add some suggestions.

I think we have a "then there 2 forum" you might want to look over there too.

Offline Taylor's Mommy

• Long Beach, CA
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2005, 04:30:40 am »
great idea Michelle about the there were two forum.  fogot about that!
Andrea
Taylor-Textbook Baby
DOB 04/19/05

DOB 05/20/07

Offline moosemom

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2005, 21:56:46 pm »
Just wanted to follow-up and say that turning on the noisy old bathroom fan (across hall from both kids bedrooms) has helped on days when all planets are in alignment for naps.  Still working on getting the baby through his 45-min stirring.  He gets overstimulated from pu/pd so I've had better luck giving him a few pats at 30-40 minutes.

Offline Taylor's Mommy

• Long Beach, CA
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2005, 06:56:59 am »
Great!  So glad to hear that things are turning in the right direction.  Hope they continue to improve! :)
Andrea
Taylor-Textbook Baby
DOB 04/19/05

DOB 05/20/07

Offline dd2flick

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2005, 16:04:29 pm »
Where is this forum on the whisper site?
"and then there was two" could do with some advice!
dianne

Offline Meg's Mom

• Showing Appreciation 30
  • our girls