Author Topic: cluster feeding + dream feeding  (Read 1104 times)

Offline mama-bee

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
cluster feeding + dream feeding
« on: November 23, 2005, 20:56:48 pm »
Doesn't cluster feeding go against the 'rules' since you have to wake up your baby and feed him even though he might not really be hungry?
How does that work for you? And then keep him awake for a little bit or put him right back to sleep? That also would go against the 'rules'.Please help me out,I'm confused.

Same with dream feeding. Does that work? What if the baby wakes up? Then do you keep him awake so he won't associate feeding with going to sleep?

I really didn't get those 2 points and need some advice from experienced EASY-moms,please!!!

annamum

« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2005, 00:40:29 am »
Once you put your baby to sleep for the night, if he wakes up you can nurse to sleep, unless he is old enough/able to go by himself. The rule is to put them awake or almost awake to bed at bedtime, this counts. You can't really expect from a newborn to sleep through the night or have an activity after the feed in the middle of the night. You want him to understand that night is for sleeping, not for an activity.

Most babies have a natural need to cluster feed in the afternoons or early evenings to tank up for the night. It is up to you and your lo if you put him for a nap after a cluster feed and then wake him up again. In my case, dd was cluster feeding in the late afternoons and she didn't nap, this was her most active time of a day :? but this is just how she is and I am, we are evening persons. Then she had a feed before sleep, pajamas, went to sleep. I was not waking her up for a dream feed, only picking her up in her light phase of sleep, then she nursed, even if she accidentially woke up, she would go back to sleep while nursing. This is OK, you want your lo to sleep at night.

Offline mama-bee

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2005, 01:58:04 am »
Thanks for your reply. Really makes sense  :D