Author Topic: Refusing Fluids  (Read 825 times)

Offline Dan&sarn

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: November 23, 2005, 21:13:31 pm »
Please help, our little boy Freddie who is 8 months old just refuses to have any fluids. He's been suffering with a cough and blocked up nose which understandably he was put off his bottles because he couldn't breathe when he was sucking, the cold has now gone but he still refuses to drink anything, when we go to put the bottle or cup in his mouth he starts crying and arching his back. I have tried different cups and bottles but he just will not have it. I mash up rusks with his milk just to get some inside him, I’ve even tried putting a rusk in his bottle but he wouldn't take it. I really don't know what to do I’m worried because he's getting no fluid, he is however eating his solid food as per usual, we don't understand why he's going so crazy, I’ve looked in his mouth for sores or ulcers but there's nothing.

Thank you

Freddies worried mum Sandra..

Offline Mariek

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 225
  • If the Beatles had read Hunter
    • My Blog: Protect The Cookie!
Refusing Fluids
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2005, 09:45:32 am »
Hi Sandra

Sorry you're having a tough time with your little guy at the moment.

It could be a couple of things. He might still have a sore throat if he's had a cold which could be putting him off. Or, if he was really struggling drinking when he had the blocked nose he might have frightened himself a bit by not being able to breathe properly. My DD had a couple of colds where her nose was completely blocked and she really struggled with feeding (she would be gasping for air and choking and spluttering), even when her colds were gone it would take her a while to get back into feeding normally.

Just persevere with trying to get him to have the bottle and try not to get too stressed about it when you're feeding him - he will pick up on your tension and that will make him even less likely to eat so it becomes a vicious circle.

Just try to keep things as low key and calm as possible. Don't stress if he doesn't eat too much - babies will eat when they're hungry. It maybe that his appetite just hasn't returned fully after being poorly (just think how you feel when you've been ill - sometimes you just don't want to eat and if someone tried to cram your dinner down your throat you'd be pretty ticked off, I know I would :) ).

If it doesn't get any better in a week then I'd suggest going to see your HV to check there isn't anything physically wrong and to make sure he's still putting weight on.

HTH

love
Marie

Offline Dan&sarn

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2005, 10:39:49 am »
Hi  Marie,

Thank you so much for replying. I'm definitley going to relax about it and just take each day as it comes and if by next week he still isn't drinking then i will take him to my HV. He is already making progress with his sleeping, he's started to fall asleep on his own again with out me having to sing to him, so fingers crossed he'll start drinking in a day or two as well.

Thanks again
Sandra.  :)

Offline Mariek

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 225
  • If the Beatles had read Hunter
    • My Blog: Protect The Cookie!
Refusing Fluids
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2005, 10:46:16 am »
Hi Sandra

I'm glad he's getting back on track. I'm sure he'll be back to his usual self in no time at all.

love
Marie