Author Topic: doesn't want to nurse before bed  (Read 1071 times)

Offline julieb

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 17
  • I think I need a bigger pool.
doesn't want to nurse before bed
« on: November 23, 2005, 22:54:00 pm »
I think I posted a while back about advice on this...

I've been having trouble for months to get DS to nurse before bed.  He will happily take a full bottle of EBM however!  My last solution was to drop to 3 feeds (morning, 1/2 after am nap, 1/2 after pm nap, and bedtime).  It was okay for a while.  Now he's back to his bedtime antics.

He's not tired.  He's not distracted.  I try feeding him in various locations of varying light and sound without improvement.  Supply seems to be fine.  I've tried cutting down his solids (he eats like a horse).  But it's always that last feed.  The other three are fine!  And he will happily sit in the middle of the noisy family room and take an 8 oz bottle.

I really don't want to wean him yet.  But I can't pump enough throughout the day to give him a bottle at bed (believe me, I pump dedicately every day!).  I keep reading about other moms' babies trying to drop the mid day feeds, but never heard of the bedtime!  Should I just concentrate on the other three and give up the bedtime?  I don't know what else to try.
Julie
DS 1/31/05 (spirited/textbook but a touchy sleeper)
DD 10/15/10 (textbook/angel/spirited)

annamum

« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2005, 00:15:49 am »
I think I remember your previous post about it. Yes, it does sound unusual that he doesn't want his last feed but... I would go ahead and honor his preference. You can, instead, breastfeed him at some other time of a day and drop this feed. As you said, concentrate on the other three and give up a bedtime one.

Offline GraceKellysmom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 104
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2005, 03:07:28 am »
imho, it's the best feed to drop - the one they are usually the most attached to and hard to substitute. He is old enough to do 3 feeds. Congrats, you two are doing so awesome!
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies