Author Topic: using pat/shh and pu/pd to try to lengthen naps but...  (Read 945 times)

Offline danna

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
using pat/shh and pu/pd to try to lengthen naps but...
« on: November 24, 2005, 00:36:51 am »
my 5 mos old lo goes to sleep for nap really well on her own, but she only sleeps for 30 mins or so.  I've been working on the pat/shh and pu/pd when pat/shh doesn't work.  We had some success yesterday and today in that she actually went back to sleep.  However, she only goes back to sleep for 5-15 mins and then screams all over again.  I have tried stanind there anticipating her waking and then I immediately put my hand on her which seems to settle her.  But I'm concerned that now I am the prop she needs to get to sleep.  I thought that if she went back to sleep, she would be in another 30-45 min cycle.  This is not the case for her.  Today, for her pm nap I literally was back in her room every 5 mins. 

Any advice?

Offline Meg's Mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 30
  • our girls
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2005, 04:00:39 am »
Hi

Sorry you are having such troubles.

Let's start by posting your schedule.

Also can you tell us how long dc has been doing the short naps and how long have you been working on extending.

Offline Amanda 101

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2005, 21:26:44 pm »
Hi Danna, I have a ds that is almost 5 mos and I had the same problem, as soon as I lifted my hands off him, he was sure to be up 5-10 min later. (this is after him sleeping for 30-40 min). So I grabbed a magic bag, not heated, and placed it over his hip/bum area when he was laying on his side and he was sleeping so well I woke him in the afternoon for fear that it would disrupt his nighttime sleep. I don't know if this is wrong after all it is a prop, but I figure I can wean him off it if it becomes a problem. It's worth a try anyway.
Amanda and Baby Ryan

Offline danna

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2005, 19:24:42 pm »
Hi Amanda, thanks for your tip.  What is a "magic bag"?