Author Topic: 4 1/2 month old on 4 hour routine but very tired.  (Read 1808 times)

Offline chark

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
4 1/2 month old on 4 hour routine but very tired.
« on: November 24, 2005, 09:11:26 am »
Sorry - posted this on new Introductions and then realised this was the place it should go.

My 4 1/2 month old is happy to go 4 hours between feeds (weighs about 20 pounds and is very long so has been on it for about 4 weeks) but seems very tired with the routine he is on for the last week or two. Not sure what is best to adjust. His routine is:

7am        E
7.15-9    A
9-11       S
11am      E
11.15-1   A
1-3         S
3pm        E
3.15-5     A
5-5.45     S
7pm        E
7.10pm   S
10.45pm E - dream feed

He seems pretty tired at his first feed and by 8.15 he is really tired. He does not always manage the two hours in the afternoon and we often have a good half an hour of PUPD before I give in and get him up. If that happens, I start his last nap a little early and give him a bit longer. He is usually spectacularly grumpy between 6 and 7 - not particularly hungry but really, really tired. Most of his daily activity is fairly low key, especially before 9am. Any alternative 4 hourly routines? I know Tracy always says in her books, listen to your baby rather than watching the clock but I am worried that if I put him down for his nap at 8.15 it will throw the rest of the day out.

Offline corrina01

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 84
  • Norfolk, UK
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2005, 09:16:31 am »
Is he sleeping through the night?  I have my DD on a 3.5 EASY and she sleeps 2 x 2 hrs and 1.30hrs as she can never stay awake for very long 1.30hrs at the most, and sleeps through the night.  I think you should put him down when he is tired and see how he goes.   :)
Corrina
Mum to Faith
A very spirited toddler with a touch of angel

Offline chark

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2005, 09:26:04 am »
Yes. He sleeps through the night. He started doing this on my day 3 of EASY! He goes down like a little angel for every nap and at bedtime now. The afternoon nap is often a nightmare. Hmm - just thought of something. He has been sleeping through for about 6 weeks but about two weeks ago, he started sleeping through without waking up and grumbling. He used to wake at least once or twice and cried for a good few minutes but never enough for us to go and shush him (bit Mantra like.) He stopped doing this about two weeks ago. This coincides with him being sleepier during the day. How odd. I am also undecided about the dream feed. He definitely feeds well - not as much as during the day but still a good feed. It's just that he seems properly asleep then and a bit grumpy when I put him back down as though I have disturbed his sleep. Worried that if I try and drop it, he will wake up in the night again.

Offline Noelle

• Showing Appreciation 53
  • Eau Claire, WI
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2005, 20:39:38 pm »
Hi,
I would go ahead and drop the df and see what happens, like you said the worst thing being he wakes for a feed and then you just start it again. :D   I didn't feel like doing it one night with my dd at around 8 weeks and she's slept through ever since.  When I was doing the df, she still woke once a night...??  :D  :shock:

And I agree, put him down when he seems tired and see how it goes.  It's not uncommon to tweak EASY a bit.  He may be going through some developmental issues (learning to roll/crawl/etc.) that may be making him a little more tired....or a growth spurt...
**Noelle**  Formerly JohnandZoesMom

Offline chark

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2005, 08:34:22 am »
Ah - he is making a big effort to learn how to roll so maybe that's it! Thanks

Offline chark

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2005, 10:47:09 am »
You are right!!!! Put him down 25 minutes early for his nap when he looked knackered and he is still asleep. Going to have to wake him for his 11am feed. What a little cutie. Fingers crossed for this afternoon.

Hmm, now I come to think of it, we have been having a bit more fresh air recently too - went for a walk with the backpack yesterday so I bet that made him more sleepy.

Offline Noelle

• Eau Claire, WI
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2005, 15:22:21 pm »
Quote from: chark
we have been having a bit more fresh air recently too - went for a walk with the backpack yesterday so I bet that made him more sleepy.

Definitely!!  :D

Offline chark

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2005, 15:42:12 pm »
Went off like an angel at his 1pm sleep and slept for the usual 2 hours. Is lying next to me, kicking on the floor and is extremely happy. It works!

Offline Noelle

• Eau Claire, WI
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2005, 15:53:10 pm »
Yay!!!  :D