Author Topic: what to do about tummy time...  (Read 1089 times)

Offline teezee

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 157
what to do about tummy time...
« on: November 24, 2005, 19:27:14 pm »
well dd learned to roll over onto her tummy at 4 months which was great for tummy time cuz she did it herself, now i have an issue.  since she learned to roll over onto her back (at 5 months), she no longer rolls to her tummy and every time i try and put her on her tummy she rolls within a matter of seconds.  i have tried to lay with her on the floor and give her a favorite toy in hopes she will stay but she just grabs the darn toy and rolls onto her back.  any suggestions??  will she ever learn to crawl if she's never on her tummy?, because she looked like she would have started (on all fours) soon before she started rolling the other way...
thanks
tawnya
Tawnya
Mommy to Alecksandria
June 11, 2005

Nikki~Nathan&Danielle

« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2005, 23:14:01 pm »
My dd who loves her tummy doesn't really try to get up on all fours but is content to sit on her butt.  I think she's going to learn to crawl from the sitting position instead (my son did it from his tummy) - so have been teaching her to lean forward and build strength that way and let her muscles know what they need to do (as well as showing her what it feels like to try and pull herself up from her tummy)

I think a lot of babies seem to do a certain movement for so long and then they've "achieved" it and stop doing it.  My dd was rolling from back to tummy and now doesn't even bother, it's like she knows what that's all about and is happy moving in other ways.  That is the way it was explained to me when my ds wouldn't roll from tummy to back after having done it for months. 

I would just keep doing what you're doing encouraging tummy time with new enticing things to play with.  How about you lie on your tummy looking at her yet far enough away from her with her enticing toy, so she can't actually reach it, but not so far away that she gives up?

HTH

Offline Katet

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2005, 07:38:29 am »
My ds#1 now 28months hated tummy time & always rolled tohis back... he learnt to crawl from a sitting position. He was a bit of a late crawler at 10.5mo but was wlaking at 13mo. I got told it was fine for them to have less tummy time once they could roll & sit up.
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05