Author Topic: "I KNOW you're teething, but I'm NOT a chew toy!"  (Read 1078 times)

Offline deb

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
"I KNOW you're teething, but I'm NOT a chew toy!"
« on: November 30, 2005, 01:49:20 am »
Poor Natalie, she's working on the top teeth which I would have SWORN would have been in for days already by now, but the bumps are HUGE!!! And to top it off she got a jab this morning, and she's cranky and hurting and there doesn't seem to be enough Tylenol, Hyland's teething tablets, or Orajel. :cry:

I know that a lot of what she's doing with her pacifier these days is chewing on it for all she's worth, but I have NERVE endings in my nipples, gosh darn it! When she does bite me I do take her off and she gets frantic, but once she's back on she bites again! OWWWWW! (Did I mention she already has her bottom 2 front incisors, and they are SHARP?!?!?)

To make it worse, once she finally settles down, my right side is still taking a beating because for some reason she seems to feel she has to PULL BACK while she nurses. She'll pull her head back and use her arm to push away from me, meaning my nipple gets stretched out on that side while she nurses. Again, I take her off and tell her "No biting" and "Ouch,"  but she's too hungry to make the cause and effect connection so no real difference there. I have to start on the left no matter what to work up my nerve to let her at the right side, and to make sure that she doesn't have to wait for letdown over there, which makes her MORE anxious and she pulls on me MORE. :(

Anyway, I have some nice scarring now on my right nipple and I'm trying to get her to sit more upright to nurse for a while, maybe pull on a different part of it till the first stuff heals, but MAN, this smarts! Any other suggestions? At this rate, my champion nurser is gonna be on formula (from a cup, since a bottle doesn't seem to suit her any more :roll:) in another month! I don't recall it being this bad with the first teeth, but she's getting more assertive and active (and STRONG) in her old age! LOL

Offline GraceKellysmom

• Showing Appreciation 104
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2005, 02:01:11 am »
Yikes, Max was a champion biter too, and it isn't much fun. You sound like your doing all the right things. I noticed the biting was worse when he was tired or near the end of a feeding when he was just sucking. I kept my finger close to his mouth to *insert* and save the nipple. If she insists on biting, remove her and give her something to teethe on.

Keep up the good work, the end is in sight!
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies

Offline Arwyn's mom

• Showing Appreciation 15
  • Arwyn -- April 5th, 2005
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2005, 02:29:17 am »
Deb,

I had the same thing happening to me... biting and pulling back. At first, I tried to tell her "no biting", "Mommy doesn't like that", etc. When that didn't work, I tried ignoring it... that failed ultra-fast. Then I did what GraceKellymom suggested... keeping my finger close by to break suction if necessary. Well... that ended up making her cry but I did it for about 2 days and the biting has stopped for about 10 days now.

Good luck... I am sorry I don't have any other suggestions. I just wanted you to know it does pass.
Ankie
Burnaby, B.C. Canada