Author Topic: Need advice. LO not taking her normal intake of milk  (Read 1643 times)

Offline corrina01

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 84
  • Norfolk, UK
Need advice. LO not taking her normal intake of milk
« on: November 26, 2005, 09:10:56 am »
My DD, did take normally 5/6oz every time she had a bottle.  Now she is only taking 3oz every time she has a bottle.  She is on a 3.5hr EASY.  I am worried. 

She hasn't got a cold, or feeling unwell, I don't think she is teething, but she is chewing her fists and on the teat of her bottle and anything that she can get in her mouth.  Her gums are not red or swollen, and she hasn't got red cheeks. 

This is her 4th day of only taking 3oz bottles.

I would put her on a 4hr EASY, but she can only stay awake 1.30hr at the most.

She is a happy little girl when she is awake, all smiles and laughing so I don't think anything is wrong with her.  She sleeps right through the night, odd occassionally stirrings but that is what I am used to. 

Is it developmental? 

Need advice please. 

Thanks
Corrina
Mum to Faith
A very spirited toddler with a touch of angel

Offline Noelle

• Showing Appreciation 53
  • Eau Claire, WI
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2005, 19:53:35 pm »
How old is she?  I think it is very normal....both of my kiddos did it too.  As long as she continues to gain weight and sleep through the night (since she already has/does)...just try to go with the flow (I know, it's frustrating/worrisome to us  :wink: )  It should start to increase again.  If you haven't already, maybe try a faster nipple..??

Also, if you think a 4hr EASY would help things.. as longs as she puts herself to sleep it's OK to tweak EASY...for example feed right before a nap, or two naps before a feed.  :D

HTH  :D
**Noelle**  Formerly JohnandZoesMom

Offline corrina01

• Norfolk, UK
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2005, 07:23:12 am »
Thanks for the reply.  She is already on the fast flow teat, the fastest they do.  She had me up all night, she may be teething, I didn't feed her and this morning she only took 3oz again. 

She is gaining weight so I am concerned about that. 

Thanks again
Corrina
Mum to Faith

Offline Noelle

• Eau Claire, WI
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2005, 19:43:50 pm »
Just wondering how it was going? :D

Offline Mom to M&M

• Showing Appreciation 128
  • Cool dude!
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2005, 21:51:08 pm »
Not to hijack you post, but I was wondering about the same. DD (16 weeks tomorrow) has been sleeping through the night from 7:30 pm -6:30 am for about two weeks now. She did wake once last week and woke last night at 12:15. She is on a 4-hour schedule and only has four bottles a day (plus one bottle with one ounce water, one ounce pear juice per doctor for constipation).

To make things more confusing, two of the four food bottles are just formula (Neocate) and two are Neocate plus rice cereal per GI doctor for her reflux. She tends to eat the cereal bottles better than the non-cereal bottles - was thinking maybe a taste thing - but maybe it's because the cereal bottles have a #2 nipple and the non-cereal ones a #1?

She is gaining weight but at 24 ounces formula plus 2 ounces water/juice, she's already on low end of intake for nutrition and hydration concerns. Plus, I don't her to take less during the day and need to make up for it at night. If she wakes for teething discomfort (I strongly suspect she's teething) and then is hungry, I understand, but since she's already sleeping through I'd rather than feeding not come back regularly.

Should I try a faster nipple with the non-cereal bottles and see what happens? If that causes her too eat 6 ounces in like 10 or 12 minutes, is that a bad thing? I dont' want to make her throw/spit up more than she already does!

Or could this all just be from teething?

Thanks.
Karen: Proud Mama to Marisa (8-11-05) and Matthew (6-5-09) and happily married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01

Offline corrina01

• Norfolk, UK
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2005, 09:11:53 am »
Noelle

She was still taking 3oz until yesterday mid morning, when I gave her some solids to try, she ate all the solids (pure baby rice) and from then on she took 4 and 5 oz bottles all the feed times.  Is she trying to say to me she wants solids?  I will give her some more solids at her next feed and see if she will keep on at the 4 or 5oz bottles all day.

Marisas mom,

My DD was taking 6oz in 5 to 10 mins before no trouble at all without spitting up. Go with what you think is best.  If she spits up with a faster flow teat and has trouble with reflux and spits up, change back.
Corrina
Mum to Faith

Offline Noelle

• Eau Claire, WI
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2005, 15:26:58 pm »
Quote from: corrina01

She was still taking 3oz until yesterday mid morning, when I gave her some solids to try, she ate all the solids (pure baby rice) and from then on she took 4 and 5 oz bottles all the feed times.  Is she trying to say to me she wants solids?  I will give her some more solids at her next feed and see if she will keep on at the 4 or 5oz bottles all day.

Interesting  :D  I would definitely try it and see what happens!!  Babies just keep you guessing, I tell ya!! :D

Quote from: corrina01
Marisas mom,

My DD was taking 6oz in 5 to 10 mins before no trouble at all without spitting up. Go with what you think is best.  If she spits up with a faster flow teat and has trouble with reflux and spits up, change back.

I agree  :D

Offline crazycanuck

• Sarah
  • Showing Appreciation 16
  • my nugget - she melts my heart
same issue
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2005, 18:41:58 pm »
hi there

i read all the posts and my baby too is eating less the last couple of days as well.....not sure why either.  I have him on a 3 hour easy.....he is 13weeks and big for 13weeks 16lbs.  I wondered as well if I should stretch him out longer but it's a tough decision because you don't want to stretch it they are needing the 3hour and the calories, but you are also wondering if he's not eating as much because he truly isn't hungry yet.  My DS had 5 at his 7am and then only 4.5 at his 10.....then he awoke upset before his nap should be done and seemed very hungry.......i did pu/pd until 1pm and then he only took 4oz's!!!! 
He was passing gas though so I'm not sure if this was the culprit but he was sucking his hands like mad.........before he was taking 30ozs and I wonder if this was a growth spurt and I'm comparing to it and therefore thinking he's not eating enough.....he's such a big boy though and you would think he would need more nutrition as the bigger they get the more they take at a feeding.......i don't know I'm so damn confused with this routine.....same time yesterday he awoke from his nap early and I had to be with him until feeding time which was about an hour away.....then so by the time it was feed time he fell asleep right after and couldn't stay awake......he did the same thing yesterday at the same time.......maybe for his second nap he doesn't need as much sleep.........he slept for about an 1.5 in first one 45mins in second and then late afternoon nap yesterday and I bet today will be 2 - 2.5hours.......is this ok.......oh my gosh this is long......sorry

breastfed for 6 months and exclusively pumping now!!!