Author Topic: Can I fit in 5 feedings without a dream feed?  (Read 1100 times)

Offline mrs_kat

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 8
Can I fit in 5 feedings without a dream feed?
« on: November 24, 2005, 01:51:55 am »
Hey everybody! 

My little Mackenzie is 15 weeks old and still taking 4 naps per day.  Here's our basic routine:

7:30 - E, then A
9:15 - S
11:00 - E, then A
12:45 - S
2:15 - E, then A
4:00 - S
5:30 - E, then A
7:15 - S (catnap)
8:00 - A
8:30 - E, then bath
9:30 - bedtime

I dropped the dream feed when I realized she would wake up at the same time in the morning regardless of whether her last feeding was at 8:30pm or 11:00pm.  I am a much happier mommy now that I'm getting to bed a little earlier. 

I would like to help her transition to having only 2 long naps and one catnap.  I think she can handle having longer awake times, and I often have to wake her from her nap so that she can eat, so I think she can probably sleep for 2 hours at a time.  But I worry that if I switch to a 4 hour EASY, she won't get enough to eat and she'll start waking up during the night again. 

I'd really rather not have to re-implement the dream feed, for the sake of my being able to get more sleep at night.  Has anyone had a similar situation, and what did you do?

Thanks for any advice you have!
Baby Girl Kenzi - 8/12/05

Offline M&M'sMom

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 1
    • http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/t/thomastwinsicles/
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2005, 03:00:54 am »
What I did for my girls was just increase the amt I gave them at each feed, so they would be consuming what they would in 5 feeds (ie: 8oz bottle vs 6oz)... that may work? I am not sure if babe is BF or on the bottle.... the girls were on the bottle so it was easy to increase feeds.. HTH???

Jody
Maisie Lyn Caroline (angel)
March 19/05 6:16 am
Makaylee Lyn Jennifer (angel)
March 19/05 6:21 am

Offline Noelle

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 53
  • Eau Claire, WI
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2005, 20:00:16 pm »
I too just offered as much as she would take at each feeding and went with the flow.  My plan of action was if she did start waking at night, I knew she wasn't ready for the 4 hour EASY.  You could also try clusterfeeding...

:D
**Noelle**  Formerly JohnandZoesMom

Offline mrs_kat

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 8
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2005, 01:47:57 am »
Mackenzie is breastfed, and since dropping the dreamfeed she's naturally started eating a few minutes longer at each feeding.  So I suppose it's possible she'll do the same to make up for dropping another feeding?

We're going out of town this weekend, so I won't make any changes quite yet, but when we get back I think I'll try stretching the feedings apart and extending the naps and seeing how she handles it.  I may also try the cluster feed in the evenings to get a little more milk in her. 

My doctor gave the go-ahead for rice cereal today at her 4 month checkup, so I suppose another possiblity is to start some cereal to help her fill up.  There are so many options of how to handle things - ever feel like you're just experimenting on your little sweethearts? :wink:

Thanks for your input!
Baby Girl Kenzi - 8/12/05