Author Topic: Activities to promote sitting up?  (Read 2485 times)

Offline cwolff

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 8
Activities to promote sitting up?
« on: November 27, 2005, 04:03:23 am »
Do all parents have to do specific things to help their babies learn to sit up?  I thought it just happened when it happened?  We use the bumbo sometimes, and she sits on my lap sometimes, but we don't have any set routine to teach her to sit on her own.

Nikki~Nathan&Danielle

« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2005, 04:11:27 am »
I just let my two build their strength by sitting up supported like you are, in their highchair on the upright setting so their muscles learn to self-adjust when toppling sideways, sitting on the floor with me behind just supporting when needed.  I just found that around 6-7mths that the strength was just there and now my almost 8mth old has been sitting by herself for a good month or so but I still put a cushion behind her incase she falls backwards - sideways I don't worry too much because she's learnt to flip onto her tummy.  I think as long as you give her time where she's not sitting in a chair that fully supports her, it gives the muscles a chance to work in the right way.  But whatever you do, it will happen on its own when ready.  Sounds like you're doing a great job!  :)

Offline deb

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2005, 04:21:42 am »
For all the crawling and pulling up Natalie's been doing, till just this past week she couldn't sit up on her own to save her life! LOL Just the last 3-4 days she can hold herself fairly steady sitting upright, but she does still tire quickly, so she doesn't sit for long spells yet, maybe 10-20 seconds tops at a time for now and longer each day.

Till she could do it herself, I'd sit on the floor behind her with her between my legs and leaning a little on my belly, and once in a while she'd sit up w/o any support and then relax back onto me or lean forward and crawl away, but now she's discovered she can sit and play with stuff with both hands, I think she likes that! :)

You don't want to rush through the different stages; I really believe it's better to let them set the pace so they can spend an adequate amount of time on their tummies, commando crawling, crawling on hands and knees, and so on. (Actually, I'm hoping Natalie takes her time getting to standing on her own and walking! :shock: :lol:) Not to worry, you're almost there! No special routine needed! :)

Offline taylor

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2005, 17:02:18 pm »
i used to put pillows behind zack and let him sit up that way and give him some toys to play with.

its good for giving them some support.

Offline alison toms mum

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 40
  • my little bundles of trouble
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2005, 14:15:44 pm »
aparently tummy time also strengthens back muscles when they push themselves up on their arms! cant fig how that works, but thats what i read
Alison