Author Topic: 6 month waking at 2 or 3 am and wanting to play  (Read 1053 times)

Offline Linda74

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
6 month waking at 2 or 3 am and wanting to play
« on: December 05, 2005, 19:09:21 pm »
Just the last two days, my 6 month old has been waking around 2 or 3 am crying, and the minute I get to his room to pat him, he starts cooing and flapping his arms for me to pick him up.  What do I do?  Just leave the room?  I've done that, he'll cry, I then go back and pat him...and them he starts cooing/talking to me and trying to grab my hand.  What am I doing wrong?  Am I encouraging him to wake up at 2/3 am by going in there to pat him?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Linda

Offline Katet

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 608
  • Sydney Australia
6 month waking at 2 or 3 am and wanting to play
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2005, 01:20:13 am »
I am finding a few reasons for my 6mo waking at night.
Developmental... rolling & trying to crawl.
Needing a feed, combination of growth spurt & being distracted during day feeds so not taking as much.
Also I needed to 'tweek'  my day routine as he didn't seem tired enough.

have you tried feeding at that time? as it could be a 6mo growth spurt or hunger related.

It may also be time to cut back on the day time naps... my ds is jumping between 2 & 3 day naps at the moment... he will do 2 naps on maybe 2 days a week & that has helped too.

I don't believe in the thought that if you "respond to your baby can encourage the waking" I think there is a genuine need if they cry out, it is just workign out what the need is. Have things changed... like you going to work or something like that... sometimes that can make babies want to "make up time they have missed out on"

Look at whether a feed is needed otherwise give comfort & keep to the same consistent response & your ds should sleep again (until the next blimp  :lol: )
dc1 July 03, dc2 May 05