Author Topic: How many naps and how long should they last with sleepy baby  (Read 1014 times)

Offline dd2flick

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
How many naps and how long should they last with sleepy baby
« on: November 27, 2005, 19:29:08 pm »
Hi everyone, my name is dianne and I am from England!! I really like the whispering technique and I admired the late tracey hogg for the work she did in her life!!!
Anyway my question is. I have a 9 week old, felicity. she is a very content little girl and CAN be very sleepy during the day. My question is How long should she sleep during the day at each nap and how many naps should she be having?.
For example. today she woke at 6.30am , fed for 20 min on the breast I changed her nappy, washed her face amd then I placed her on her mat/play gym. AT 8.15 am she showed sign of tiredness and slept till 9.25am . (A total of 1hour 10 min) sleeping and a total of around 3 hrs since last feed.. I then automatically fed her at 9.30am for around 10 min on the other breast , had some activity and then was sleeping in her cot at 11.10 till 12pm and the day sort of goes like that. Some days if I let her she can sleep 4 hours in one cycle!
anyway I hope that someone can understand this post
dianne from england!

Offline Taylor's Mommy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 17
  • Long Beach, CA
    • http://www.taylormadellc.com
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2005, 19:41:32 pm »
She should be getting 5-6 hours of daytime sleep with about 3-4 naps (denending on if she takes short naps or not).  Usually you do not want to let a nap last longer than 2 hours so you don't go through the next feed, and you don't rob peter to pay paul (rob nightime sleep for daytime sleep).

HTH!
Andrea
Taylor-Textbook Baby
DOB 04/19/05

Sydney-too soon to tell, but looking EASY
DOB 05/20/07

Offline dd2flick

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2005, 23:44:33 pm »
:D  Thank you for your relpy andrea, I really appreciate the time you took to do so.  How do you feed when having to go out with your baby. Do you feed and then allow to take nap in pram and wake her for her next feed? My eldest starts pre school in Jan and will mean that I am out at around 8.45 am to take her to school and felicity will just sleep the second she is in her pram or sling, how do I prevent her taking naps due to motion? There is a great need for me to get out of the house due to PND so I would appreciate help with this one.
 Here is another question, not related to easy. Is there many people from th uk who use this board? There seems to be a lot from the states.
thanks again
dianne
sophie 2.5yrs
felicity.

Offline Taylor's Mommy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 17
  • Long Beach, CA
    • http://www.taylormadellc.com
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2005, 15:35:25 pm »
HI there,

you can feed when out and then have her nap out in the car.  my only word of advice is to try and limit these trips where she will be sleeping due to motion when possible.  You are definitley not house bound when doing EASY, but it also is not best to take your lo out for every nap because then like you said, she will get used to sleeping with motion. 

At that age I would take Taylor out once a nap every other day, because I too would kind of get cabin fever with pnd.  There were a couple of times when we were doing serious nap training that we would stay home for 3-4 days at a time and only go out for brief walks, but I think that was only twice.

As she gets older you will find that she can stay awake longer and you will actually be able to go out for a couple of hours and still get back in time for her nap, but until then it is best to limit trips when possible.

HTH!

And yes, there are a ton of registered users here from the UK and Australia and Canada!
Andrea
Taylor-Textbook Baby
DOB 04/19/05

Sydney-too soon to tell, but looking EASY
DOB 05/20/07