Author Topic: How many bf should my lo be having??  (Read 1075 times)

Offline dd2flick

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: November 27, 2005, 23:53:56 pm »
I have tried to start my day from 7am till 7pm with a dream feed at 11pm. My question is how many feeds should my lo be having and can I do two dream feeds if not getting enough?
At the moment she is having 4 breast feeds and a dream deed. So a total of 5 feeds before I go to bed. She is a child who can go a long time between feeds and I would be happy to feed her more if it meant I could get her to drop the 5am feed.
dianne (from England)
felicity almost 10 wks

Offline LindseysMom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 9
  • Lincolnton, NC, USA
How many bf should my lo be having??
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2005, 01:07:59 am »
Hello.  I think as long as she is happy, healthy, and gaining weight well then she should be getting enough.   I believe it is only during the first 4-6 weeks that you are actually supposed to make sure that a breastfed baby eats 8-12 times in a 24 hour period.  This is the time that it is very important that your bf baby eat often to help establish a good milk supply.  Is she having plenty of wet and poopy diapers still?  Is she gaining weight well?  If your answer is yes then I think you guys are fine.
Lynne
Registered Nurse now Sahm
Mom to Lindsey Elizabeth 10/28/04
Baby girl due December 8th

Offline dd2flick

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2005, 07:20:52 am »
AS the title says I want to say thankyou. The thing I love about easy it that it is all common sense. I would love to continue on like this as last night my felicity selpt from 7pm put down, had a dreamfeed (bf) topped up with 1oz of formula. She then continued to go through till 6.30am this morning , when I fed her. Her 2.5 yr old sister also slept till 7am this morning so a good night was had by all.
cheers
dianne :D