Author Topic: Stopping cold turkey for cancer  (Read 1463 times)

Offline emmasmommy

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Stopping cold turkey for cancer
« on: November 28, 2005, 03:23:30 am »
Ok, I realize that this is not the smartest way to go about it but I am seriously considering just bf as usual until my radiation treatment because I don't want to give it up and I just want to nurse as long as I can.  I realize it will be very uncomfortable but if just get my cold cabbage leaves ready and express a little as necessary to relieve pressure that's the most comfortable way to go about it right?  I have heard of "binders" does anyone have experience with this? Any advice? Thanks

M I R I A M - 4 March 2003
  E M M A    - 29 June 2001

annamum

« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2005, 03:43:35 am »
You must realize that it is not going to be easy for you. But I would probably do exaxtly as you want to do.

Yes, cabbage leaves need to be chilled and worn in your bra with holes for your nipples. It is also known that sage is supressing your milk production. They say that even if you eat turkey with stuffing which contains sage and it often does, it can affect your supply.

I also want to send you hugs. I know from my own experience what it means to battle cancer. Having to care for children while doing that must be really tough. You will need a lot of strength, and I want you to feel welcome to come here for help.

BTW, until recently I was your neighbor, I lived in Allen, TX.

<<<HUGS>>>

Colleen

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2005, 03:48:50 am »
I don't have any advice, I just wanted to send you {{{HUGS}}} and let you know you will be in my thoughts.

stasztk

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2005, 03:52:46 am »
I am so sorry to hear of your battle. I too would do the same. It will be horribly uncomfortable for you and you may be putting yourself at risk for a breast infection. What does your doctor think?

I am also wondering if you could try and keep up your supply until you are deemed healthy enough to start again. I don't know much about it. I would be heartbroken if I were you. But your lo's need mama more than leah needs your milk.

annamum

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2005, 03:52:51 am »

Offline emmasmommy

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
thank you!
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2005, 05:38:48 am »
the web site was helpful and I appreciate your responses.  I had considered weaning more slowly before my surgery but then I found out that it would be 4-6 weeks before my treatment so I pumped & dumped for a couple days and started right back where I left off and I am SO GLAD I did.  I still have about 1-2 more weeks to nurse so I will enjoy while I can.  FYI - just thyroid cancer- nothing serious but it stinks no less :x

M I R I A M - 4 March 2003
  E M M A    - 29 June 2001