Author Topic: Needs textile contact to sleep.  (Read 1725 times)

Offline dd2flick

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: November 28, 2005, 07:54:35 am »
Hi just wondering if there was anyone else out there who's lo need some kind of contact to sleep. My dd2 who is 10 wkees needs something next to her face to sleep. My eldest needs her stuffed toy. (hippo). I have treid to avoid giving my dd2 a toy as I find it hard enough keeping track of one let alone two. I have tried to give her a rolled up towel or a rolled up sheet. Is this ok?
dianne (from england)
felicity 10wks

Offline Lara's Mum

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 19
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2005, 10:05:17 am »
hey there.... i needed contact as a baby, and sometimes still do.  :D i had a blanket with a soft edge and that was the only thing that put me to sleep, till my hair grew and then i left the blanket and turned to my hair. 8)  8)  its better than a pacifier or thumb in mouth. even now if i really want to sleep sometimes, i'll play with my hair, but that reaaly depends on my level of tiredness. :oops:  i've been trying to get dd to take to something soft as she won't take a pacifier and despite what everyone says i don't like the idea of her sucking her thumb, but she's still so young, she won't grasp...(7 weeks), HTH and good luck
Shahira
Mum to Lara, Born 13/10/05
Spirited Textbook Libran

Offline Mia & Scarlett's Mummy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 18
  • Me and my girls (on a tidy day!)
Needs textile contact to sleep.
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2005, 11:15:13 am »
Hi Dianne

My dd doesn't need anything yet but I did as a baby.  I had a dummy till I was.....wait for it 6!!!!!!!!!!! SHOCK HORROR!!  and I also had a linen cloth which I would rub over my face till I dropped off.

As far as I'm concerned anything that comforts LO's which doesn't turn into a problem isn't a problem. 

Louise
Louise -  Mom to Mia Alison born 19.08.05 
Our beautiful english rose and textbook/spirited baby.
New Mom to lovely Scarlett Grace - textbook/touchy

Offline deb

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2005, 14:49:28 pm »
Both my kids are the same way. I found this out with Josie when we started doing the Aussie swaddle, where her hands were covered with cloth but up by her head. She'd turn her head sideways so her cheek touched the fabric and she'd be off to dreamland.

It's just a tactile sensory thing, and as a PP said, if it doesn't turn into a problem, it's not a problem. If you're concerned about the size of the fabric, you can take a dipaer cloth and cut it in half and hem it up so you have two identical ones (also handy for when they need to be washed ;)).

Offline alex and danny

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 3
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2005, 15:35:58 pm »
My lo who is now 16 weeks also needed a cloth or my hand to fall asleep.  I realized this when he was about 10 weeks also.  I took a washcloth, put in two of my breast pads (for my smell) and rolled it to look like an arm and pu tape around it.  Now my lo sometimes grabbs it, squishes it, or rubs it against his face; but lately has started to grab his own hands for comfort.... I think its ok as long as they are able to move it away if need be.
Alex with fun and supportive husband Danny; proud parents of our Angel/Touchy Jacob