Author Topic: How do you use a dummy/pacifier at nap times?  (Read 1071 times)

Offline dd2flick

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
How do you use a dummy/pacifier at nap times?
« on: November 28, 2005, 11:00:59 am »
Hi everyone I was wondering how you go about using a pacifier to enable you lo to nap or to get through night wakings.
dianne and felicity 10wks tomorrow :D

Offline Mia & Scarlett's Mummy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 18
  • Me and my girls (on a tidy day!)
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2005, 11:10:49 am »
Hello

I'd be interested to hear what everyone else has to say on this too.

At night dd rarely needs her dummy to go to sleep, she either nods off independantly or selfsoothes by sucking her fingers.  Occaisonaly she needs it and when she does we give it to her and she either spits it out or else we gently remove it between suckles just as she's calming down and drifting off.

Nap time is another matter though and I thank the lord she loves her dummy because I honestly don't know what I would do if she refused it.  I settle her down for her naps using her dummy and cuddle her till her eyes are dropping.  Then I put her in her cot which tends to momentarily wake her and she cries but her dummy calms her down again.  I've given up trying to remove it after she has dropped off or while she's dropping off because she cries.  So either it falls out of her mouth once asleep or it stays in.

I'd love to know why she doesn't need it at night and can go 12 hours solid without it but needs it to wind down during the day and also needs it to transition from one sleep cycle to the next during the day.  It's as if she knows the difference between day and night sleep. 

Hope that helps!

Louise
Louise -  Mom to Mia Alison born 19.08.05 
Our beautiful english rose and textbook/spirited baby.
New Mom to lovely Scarlett Grace - textbook/touchy

Offline woopster

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 398
  • 4 gone...how many more?
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2005, 18:40:20 pm »
I'm the opposite to Louise.  My 2 don't need the dummy for naps at all during the day, nor during the night.  They go to sleep brilliantly on their own.
However, just before going down for the night, they have to have the dummy, Sam manages to keep it in no problem, but Lydia needs a bit of help.  She tends to spit it out,  but then decides she wants it, so back in it goes...this goes on for about an hour until she drops off.
Harry: 29 July 2003
Lydia: 28 June 2005
Sam:  28 June 2005
David: 28 June 2005 - 12 August 2005
Daniel: 19 July 2007
That's all folks!
(Well, maybe another girl if I can convince DH!)