Author Topic: Athens calling for help  (Read 998 times)

Offline miriela

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • Athens, Greece
Athens calling for help
« on: November 28, 2005, 13:26:23 pm »
Hello everybody. I'm the mother of 12 month old Sophia from Athens, Greece and I would appreciate any ideas on how to deal with her new sleeping problems.
For the first 10 months she had no trouble sleeping day or night. Then she started waking up in the night. (she also started teething at the same time and she also stopped taking a morning nap) In the first weeks I did everything wrong. I either picked her up and held her until she fell asleep, or I even tried the cry out method, but then luckily I came across Tracy's book and I started the PUPD method and after a few days Sophia was falling asleep like she always has. This lasted for a few weeks. In the past 10 days we put her to bed and she is restless, she cries if we leave the room which she never did so far and the result is that her sleeping hours have changed. She used to nap around 1.00 until 3.00, now she falls asleep around 3.00.At night she used to sleep at 8.30 (in Greece it is consicered early) and now she cries and fusses until 9-9.30 and starts crying the moment we leave the room. So far these ten days we've been sitting in her room until she fell asleep. Is this wrong? Do you have any suggestions? Thank you in advance

Offline branwen

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 21
Athens calling for help
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2005, 14:18:44 pm »
Hi there! :D

It sounds like you had great initial success with PU/PD and then had a regression which is VERY common.  The only "mistake" you made was not going back to PU/PD.  That is what I would recommend.  Start again with it.  At this age she might not need both naps...but it also could be due to teething, my dd is very restless when teething, and soon as they cut through though she seems to be better and goes back to sleeping her usual hrs.

If her afternoon nap moved later it is possible she is not tired enough for her usual bedtime...you can try to get the afternoon nap back to its usual time and see if that makes a difference.

A couple of moms here go to set nap times around this age, so that might help you and lo.??

I hope this helps and if you have any questions post back or post on the PU/PD board for help with the technique.
Branwen
Mama to Eirwen 1/22/05