Author Topic: Can separtion anxiety cause nap regression?  (Read 894 times)

Offline Liam and Shane's Mommy

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Can separtion anxiety cause nap regression?
« on: November 28, 2005, 19:13:41 pm »
I posted yesterday but wanted to add a couple more questions.  My ds now 6 1/2 mos. has recently regressed with sleep training.  He goes down fine but wakes at 35 min. and quickly launches into screaming.  The only way I can get him calm again is to rock with him for a bit.  I feel like this is a huge step backwards as I finally stopped the accidental parenting a month ago.  But after a 4-5 days of this I just want him to sleep. He still goes back down fully awake.

Could it be separation anxiety?  He seems a little young for that.  He seems fine when he first goes down for a nap and isn't afraid to be left.  Even when he only sleeps 30 min.  I still keep him up 2 hours so its closer to his usual nap time.  I know he gets even more overtired but if  I start caving by putting him down earlier aren't I just reinforcing short naps and then I'll never get him use to 2 hour A time.

Don't know what to do.

Liam 2001/12/22

Shane
2005/05/12

Offline Meg's Mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 30
  • our girls
Can separtion anxiety cause nap regression?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2005, 04:47:27 am »
I answered you other post :-)

It doesn't sound like Sep. Anxiety, but more like he is tired...but not tired enough to get him self back to sleep.  My LO does a 35min (exactly) in the car, i don't know why but if she is going to do a short nap at home it is 45min - weird i know.  Anyway, as long as you are still putting him back to his crib awake and you think of the rocking as a temporary measure...then i don't think it is a step backward.

I would really look at extending his A time - try walking (but don't let him sleep) for the extra time, it is just the right amount of stimulation w/o making them overtired.  Or walk around the garden...

Hope this helps.