Author Topic: When should I be dropping a bottle?  (Read 1060 times)

Offline Susie-Q

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: November 28, 2005, 20:13:20 pm »
My DS has 4 bottles a day:
Upon waking
Before each nap
Before bed

And then a fifth ... .and that one in the middle of the night but let's not go there. 

He's 9.5 months.   Should I be replacing one of those bottles with a snack??  I think that would be hard because it's already tough to get in 3 meals a day.  Maybe I should just be getting rid of one bottle anyway so he takes a better feed at his meals??? 

Which is the first one you take away???

Offline Seona1973

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 21
When should I be dropping a bottle?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2005, 12:54:33 pm »
At 9.5 months dd had 3 bottles a day but she was not very interested in one of them (mid afternoon) and it was dropped by the time she was 10 months. She had 2 bottles until she was 1 year old and was off bottles by 14 months.

TBH I would get rid of 2 of the bottles which may encourage your lo to eat more solids. I would work on missing out the night bottle first as your lo doesnt really need it at this age.  The one I dropped first during the day was the mid-morning one as dd was losing interest in it - I didnt offer a snack, I offered lunch a little earlier and gave a drink of water along with it instead.

I wouldnt drop them both at once but I would end the night one first. You could either stop offering milk and offer water instead, dont offer anything at all and use pick up/put down or gradually water down the night feed until you are only offering water.

As long as your lo has a minimum of 20 ounces (around 600mls) of milk per day along with their solids, they will be getting the nutrition they need.

hth

Seona