Author Topic: Baby won't suck  (Read 2985 times)

Offline monkey's mom

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: November 28, 2005, 21:45:59 pm »
I know this sounds strange but my daughter does not seem to understand how to suck! I am breastfeeding her, and she sucks on the breast well but can't seem to do the same with a bottle or sippy cup. I know it is late in the game to be trying to get her to use a bottle, but I was pressured by countless doctors when she was younger not to expose her to bottles (when she was born she had trouble latching on properly). In addition to this we found out that she has food intolerances and has trouble gaining weight consistently, so we were all nervous to introduce something that may interfere with her eating. I would like to get back some of my life and be able to share feeding her with my husband, or even daycare soon  :cry: For the last few months, I have been trying to get her to take a bottle. At first she would cry hysterically when she saw it coming and would freak out when we put the bottle in her mouth. Now, she accepts the bottle and even reaches for it and puts it in her mouth herself but she won't suck on it, she will only bite on the nipple. Same thing goes with the sippy cup, she will only bite, not suck -- and obviously it won't work if we put the plastic stopper in to prevent it from dripping. She enjoys using the cup without the stopper but gets the milk all over the place. Even she is getting frustrated, she may get a bit of milk out when she bites but not enough to feed her. When I think back to when she was 1-2 months old, I try to get her to use a pacifier because she was always biting on her fingers and was unable to hold onto a teething ring, but she would only bite on that as well! What should I do? The only thing I see as a possibility is the sippy cup, but it is very messy and stressful! Help!

Offline Chantel03

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 25
Baby won't suck
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2005, 05:47:25 am »
Hmmmm.  Have you tried diffrent types of nipples?  Some babies can suck easier on certain nipples.  Maybe try like the nook or diffrent styles of nipples.  I really not sure, but maybe some of the other mommies will have better ideas than me.
Tanner- My active, fun loving 4yr old.
Kaitlyn- My new baby girl.

Lan

Baby won't suck
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2005, 06:30:53 am »
Have you tried using a straw cup? They are meant to be easier for breastfed babies to get the hang of. If you use a small tetra pak you can out the straw in her mouth and give the pak a gentle squeeze. Even if she is biting the straw she might swallow when she feels the fluid in her mouth.

I found those valve sippy cups useless for teaching my baby to drink, you need to suck too hard (I tried it). I actually ended using a real plastic cup with a bit of water in it. My baby would reach out for it when he saw me drinking so I would let him try.

Offline monkey's mom

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2005, 15:06:11 pm »
I have tried just about every nipple on the market, but haven't tried using a straw yet... I wish I had exposed her to bottles earlier, it seems like no matter what feeding her off the breast is going to be messy!

Offline Noelle

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 53
  • Eau Claire, WI
Baby won't suck
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2005, 19:42:35 pm »
If you haven't already, you may want to check out the announcement at the top of this forum on tips to get your LO to take a bottle  :D
**Noelle**  Formerly JohnandZoesMom