Author Topic: how can i get a 6 week old to sleep longer at night?  (Read 1033 times)

Offline B1PZNT49

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
how can i get a 6 week old to sleep longer at night?
« on: November 29, 2005, 13:27:54 pm »
My daughter is 6 1/2 weeks old and has been formula fed since day one.  She is a good eater, taking 4 oz each feed but can't seem to go longer than 3 hours at night. I guess my problem is that I am comparing her to my son who slept 7 hours by 6 weeks.  :D  She goes to bed about 930 then is up again by 1230, 330 and guaranteed to be up by 6am for some reason. I have tried a dreamfeed but she actually doesn't seem to take it (my son used to gulp it down) but i can barely get her to open her mouth let alone drink it.  I am open to any suggestions.  I was doing the dreamfeed at about 11pm, or trying to anyway, and her last feed was about 830 or 9pm.  She sleeps on her own in her crib and on her tummy as well so a soother isn't an option because it won't stay in (tried it).  She definitly seems hungry when she wakes as she is practically chewing off her fist.   Are my expectations too high?   :?:

Offline branwen

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 21
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2005, 13:44:28 pm »
Congrats on your little one!

I think we were getting a 5-6 hr stretch by that time and I was told that was "really good" by my ped who was very very surprised.  Have you tried increasing her previous feeds to 5 oz, or will she just not take more?  Does she go for longer sleeps during the day?  Could be her clock is still sorting itself out.  If she is having longer stretches during the day you might want to wake her from these.

The 3 hr intervals seem great to me, and the fact that she is very consistent does point to hunger IMO.

I would go with it a bit longer with it- hang in there!  It could just be her tummy needs to get a little bit bigger and she needs to eat a little bit longer.  If by 10-12 weeks she's still only doing 3 hrs at night I would start pat/shhh.  You can try it now if you like, but IMO I would only start it if you are sure she isn't hungry, and at this age it can be tricky to tell.
Branwen
Mama to Eirwen 1/22/05

Offline cymonguk

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2005, 16:00:13 pm »
Really does sound like hunger, you could try upping her calorie intake during the day, or adding one more feed in the evening, it may just be a matter of time, certainly phoebe will sleep 5 - 6 hours at 8 weeks and has done for 4 weeks, but seems to have hit her plateau right now.

Offline B1PZNT49

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2005, 19:14:55 pm »
i've tried to give her more but she won't take more than 4 oz..sometimes only 3 or 2 actually...i think i am getting her to bed too late as well..
but i also have  2 1/2 year old so it's shared time, as husband often gone in evening doing shiftwork..i think i will try to focus getting her to bed 7-8pm and then try the dreamfeed again...
she naps during the day off and on..usually a couple of hours but no real schedule...we are usually out and about..maybe that's the problem..need to stay put at home during the day??
i like to get out for the 2 1/2 yr olds sake....

Offline branwen

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 21
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2005, 14:28:13 pm »
If she is only taking that little at each feed you could try making her wait longer for her feeds during the day, at only 2 oz per feed she could be snacking, which you don't want (trust me I had one until 4 months!!! :oops: )

I would also try to compromise with your 2.5 yr old, which might be interesting :lol:  maybe the morning nap is for baby and the afternoon for her.  More consistent day sleep might really improve your nights.  It did mine.  Also I think Tracy talks about uninterrupted sleep and that stroller and carseat sleep is "disturbed" sleep??  Only a couple of hrs is too little at 6 weeks.  She should have ideally 3, 1.5 hr naps! I know!! But it might really help your nights.

With EASY consistency is key.  It did mean chaining myself to my house for a month to work out our kinks but well worth it because now my dd flexs much better.
Branwen
Mama to Eirwen 1/22/05