Author Topic: Question re: consolidation of cluster feeds  (Read 1410 times)

Offline Sydney'sMom

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Question re: consolidation of cluster feeds
« on: November 29, 2005, 23:51:10 pm »
Hi there

My dd is going to be 8 weeks next week and I noticed that the book suggested turning the two cluster feeds into one at this age. 

So, do I up her intake during the day to account for the one cluster feed I am dropping or does she eat in one cluster feed what she normally would eat in two? Or do I not worry about the ounces she will miss from that second cluster feed?

Confused :?

TIA
Sydney - 10/13/2005

Offline Noelle

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 53
  • Eau Claire, WI
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2005, 20:18:09 pm »
Hello!
For me, I found that the A and E will eventually work itself out to where you just skip the first clusterfeed and combine it with the last feed before bed.  If she isn't sleeping through the night though I would continue to clusterfeed.  :D
**Noelle**  Formerly JohnandZoesMom

Offline Sydney'sMom

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2005, 21:33:31 pm »
Thank you for responding.

So, if she isn't sleeping through the night, you think I should do BOTH cluster feeds?  She is currently going to bed at 8:00 with a DF at 10:00.  She then sleeps until 2:30/3:00.  Is that considered "sleeping through the night" for a 7 week old?
Sydney - 10/13/2005

Offline Noelle

• Eau Claire, WI
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2005, 15:49:05 pm »
Tracy considers sleeping through the night 5 hrs.  So if she is waking at 3, that would be through the night.  But for me, sleeping through the night is a 11-12 hour stretch (say 7pm-6or7am) with or w/o the dreamfeed.  Since she still is waking I would probably continue to do the clusterfeed?  Does she take full feeds at the clusterfeeds?  If not, you probably could combine them.  Does she take a full feed when she wakes at 2:30-3?

:D

Offline Sydney'sMom

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2005, 15:59:35 pm »
I agree.  Sleeping through the night would be until 6/7 am.  She does take a full feed at both cluster feeds, give or take a 1/2 ounce.  So, do you think I should do both feeds until she starts to take less per feed and then combine them?

TIA!!!
Sydney - 10/13/2005

Offline Noelle

• Eau Claire, WI
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2005, 16:15:20 pm »
I would continue with both the clusterfeeds like you said.  :D

And just throwing this out there in case you want to give it a shot  :wink:  At around 7.5 weeks with Zoe I didn't feel like doing the dreamfeed one night (we usually gave one at around 10:30pm).  I figured the worst thing being she'd wake twice instead of once.  That night she slept through and has ever since  :shock:   Makes me wonder if it was "reminding" her to wake up and eat...as she was taking full feeds too.  We continued with the clusterfeeds for a while though.

Offline Sydney'sMom

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2005, 18:32:36 pm »
It's funny you mention that re: the df. I tried last night to get rid of her df at 10:00.  I put her down at 8:00 and she woke 5 hours later at 1:00 to eat :cry: and then again at 6:00.  With the df she would wake at 2:30/3 to eat and then again at 7:30 or so.  So, sounds like I am stuck with the df for a little while longer.  I may try this again a few weeks from now to see what happens.  How long did you continue with the CFs?
Sydney - 10/13/2005