Author Topic: 1 nap routine?  (Read 1137 times)

Offline piglet

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: November 30, 2005, 03:26:35 am »
Hi,

I have a 13.5 mth old son who usually naps really well. He has been having 2 naps (morning and afternoon) until he fell sick recently for 2 weeks and was barely sleeping at all. Now that he's fully recovered, he doesn't want to sleep in the morning but will sleep in the mid-day, but sometimes only for an hour!

I am at a loss at what to do, he wakes at around 7ish am, and usually goes to bed at 10ish am but now he just cries and cries even though he's showing tired signs, should I put him to bed for a short morning nap at 11 am instead and then another longer afternoon nap, or keep him up till after lunch (which is what I'm doing now). He goes to bed at 7.30pm, and I just am not sure how to fit all this together.

Hope anyone can help

Cheers
piglet
--
Me 26
DH 30
M/C 08.08.2002
DS 17.10.2004

http://lilypie.com">Lilypie Baby Ticker" border="0

Offline piglet

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2005, 04:16:09 am »
Ok, he only slept for an hour this afternoon (12-1pm), and was super tired (kept rubbing eyes and yawning), so I just put him down for another nap and he's screaming his head off!! I just don't understand!

I better go and rescue him, he's not a happy camper!
piglet
--
Me 26
DH 30
M/C 08.08.2002
DS 17.10.2004

http://lilypie.com">Lilypie Baby Ticker" border="0

Offline LindseysMom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 9
  • Lincolnton, NC, USA
1 nap routine?
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2005, 04:28:11 am »
Hello, boy do I know what you are going through.  Lindsey to was sick or something for the last 2 weeks and was not napping well at all.  She slept maybe a total of 12.5 hours for two weeks with only one nap of about 45 minutes to an hour.  It was horrible needless to say but we did get through it.  She was already not taking an afternoon nap before she got sick but at least her am nap was longer.  Anyway, I think we finally have her on  one nap now.  I put her down at 12:30 and for the past 2 days she has had a 2-2.5 hour nap.  She goes to bed between 7:30 and 8 pm and wakes around 7-7:30.  She does get a little cranky in the am but I just try and distract her and we cuddle and watch Sesame Street while she drinks her juice for a few minutes and it helps.  I give her a snack at 11: or 11:15 and then another snack when she wakes up.  Now I am almost wondering if her lack of sleep too was just the whole transition period as they don't know they will only get one nap yet.  But I guess her not feeling well did not help any.  Give him a couple weeks of putting him down later after a snack or lunch and he will adjust, it is just not fun in the meantime.
Lynne
Registered Nurse now Sahm
Mom to Lindsey Elizabeth 10/28/04
Baby girl due December 8th

Offline annaandtwins

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2005, 18:27:52 pm »
Hi Lindsey's mom and everyone else - I was wondering how the transition had gone for you...  have 14 month (turned 14 months yesterday) twins and we are where you were a few weeks ago.... I'm wondering what you did to get Lindsey to extend her 1 nap - did you pick her up when she cried after 45 minutes? Did you do PU/PD? I can't do PU/PD b/c I have two little boys.... Keeping them up until noon is hard, but works...but then they sleep only 45 minutes and the rest of the day is... well - you know!!! i know meg's mom posted that when she was going through the trnasition she would let DD nap 10-20 min in the am in the car or stroller if needed - did you do that? i tried that yesterday (took them for a walk around their usual naptime) and they both slep 10-15 minutes in the stroller- didn;t help - their nap was still 45 minutes... Any advice is appreciated!!!!! Thanks!

Anna

Offline LindseysMom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 9
  • Lincolnton, NC, USA
1 nap routine?
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2005, 19:15:34 pm »
Hello, I did not do anything to extend her naps.  I am not that dedicated! :lol:  :wink:   Really, I just figured that if she was only going to sleep 45 minutes then oh well, I guess that is what she needs for today.  Well, actually I was not that calm about it but I just tried to go with what she was giving me.   Plus, she was not all that horrible actually, just got fussy around supper time and once she ate supper she was ok til bedtime.  I did not offer a short am nap either b/c I did not htink she would still sleep later.  This past Sunday I did try and put her down at 11:00 and she still slept only 45 minutes and would not go back to sleep for her afternoon nap so I said screw this, she is staying up til after lunch whether she likes it or not.  And Monday she finally started taking longer naps again.  It took a good 2 weeks to get here though so hang in there, they just need time to readjust their internal clocks.  As Meg's mom said, they don't know they are only going to get one nap yet so give them some time to adjust.
Lynne
Registered Nurse now Sahm
Mom to Lindsey Elizabeth 10/28/04
Baby girl due December 8th