Author Topic: Naps - all gone wrong!  (Read 936 times)

Offline amelia'smum

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: November 30, 2005, 10:45:00 am »
My daughter is almost 5 months old. We were doing really well with extending naps by pu/pd. It took a while but was worth it. It worked without pu/pd for 3weeks without a problem. She would wake, but very quickly go back to sleep. She would grizzle for a little while, but there was never a need for me to help her go back to sleep. Suddenly this week she refuses to sleep longer than 30/40mins, sometimes 20 minutes. I've tried pu/pd. I don't go straight into her. If she does go back to sleep it is only after crying lots and then wakes up after 10 minutes. She is tired as she is yawning, rubbing her eyes and grumpy within minutes of coming out of her cot, sometimes falling asleep during her next feed, so I have to keep waking her! She isn't hungry, she feeds well. What have i done wrong?She sleeps very well at night, so i feel daft for asking for help. Any advice would be great.....

Offline Meg's Mom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 30
  • our girls
Naps - all gone wrong!
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2005, 23:34:52 pm »
Boy, does this sound familar...

My LO started the 45min nap at about 3 months.  I search high and low for information and found Tracy’s work, then the site.  By the time Megan was now well into 4mos and I moved dc to 4hr EASY as Tracy recommends and the short naps got a bit better.  I then used shh/pat, pu/pd (very little) and wake to sleep techniques to get dc body used to sleeping thru the 1st sleep cycle as by now it was a well ingrained habit.  We saw improvement almost immediately (although small, but it was improvement) and I was convinced Tracy’s work was a godsend. 

We worked on dc naps for 2 weeks solid and after much shh’ing and back aches she started sleeping about 1.25-1.50 for most naps.

Things were great for 2 wks after beating the 45min nap monster.  But then the monster came back.  I thought I would fall off the deep end.  What I didn’t take into consideration was that dc was older now.  So I increase dc A time by 15min and poof…the monster was gone again.  At 5mos 2.25hr of A time was the magic number for us. 

Offline amelia'smum

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2005, 09:09:56 am »
Thank you for advice. I will keep her up for an extra 15minutes today for her A time!! Keep fingers crossed........