Author Topic: heberman bottles and breastfeeding  (Read 1388 times)

Offline dd2flick

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« on: November 30, 2005, 15:10:19 pm »
Hi here is a question for for those who have used the haberman bottles. My lo is 10 weeks old and is breast fed. I use advent bottles once a day to allow dh to feed. My lo is gainning weight, through breastfeeding, but I lack confidence in her sucking power! I have short nipples, (though not flat) and my dd has a slight tongue tie) . Now my question is how can I get my dd to suck harder? I have been told that tracey's habermans bottles can help. Is it worth the investment?
dianne :)

Offline Luke-n-Me

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 9
heberman bottles and breastfeeding
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2005, 17:38:17 pm »
Dianne,

I have had tons of trouble getting my lo to take a bottle and I've been trying since she was 2 weeks old (she's now 3 mos.).  Just today I tried the Haberman for the first time, the first bottle took 40 minutes to give, but she did take the whole thing.  I'll keep you posted as to how it goes.  She's only been taking 2 oz. or less for my sitter at a time on the days I work, so this is my last resort.  It is expensive, but if it works, I'd say it's worth every penny.  I'll keep you posted and hopefully someone else has some input too!!
Nancy

Luke (4-2-03)
Annika (8-30-05)

Offline GraceKellysmom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 104
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2005, 21:36:49 pm »
I have a haberman, but have never used it.

What makes you worried about the sucking power? How long are her feeds?
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies

Offline dd2flick

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2005, 23:15:42 pm »
What worries me about the sucking is the fact she will not stay latched on for long without me having to reattach her. The has slight tongue tie, and I only feel her sucking at the breast breifly in the beginning. She is obviously getting milk as she is gainning the recommended weight, but I would like her to have a stronger suck. I remember Tracey doing a programme on discovery health and she talked about the haberman increasing the sucking power of a breast fed baby. I am hoping by purchasing this type of bottle that it will improve her feeding. She feeds for about 20 min max at a time, and my breast must contain LOADS of milk. (could feed an army), but I would like her to have a stronger suck.
dianne :)

Offline GraceKellysmom

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2005, 01:46:10 am »
Sometimes women with a very strong letdown and high milk supply have babies who don't suck so hard. They suck long enough to get a let down and then it is a softer suck/mostly swallow. I was "blessed" as you are and found that growth spurts meant feeding much more frequently to stimulate my supply instead of just feeding for a longer time amount as some books suggested. Other than that, my babies both adjusted and eventually demanded the quick letdowns and lots of milk.

So lucky you are to have seen some of Tracy's tv specials. They didn't air in the US to my knowledge.

My haberman is more of a syringe type feeder for a very young infant. I wasn't aware that they made a bottle type. Most bottles actually discourage sucking, and use a different kind of suck anyway.

If she is growing so well, maybe you don't have to worry about this?
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies

Offline dd2flick

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2005, 08:25:15 am »
The main issuce that I ahve is that she does not fully empty my brst. I think I have loads of milk??? Does this truly matter ? anyway thanks for your advice.
happy advent :D

Offline GraceKellysmom

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2005, 20:01:54 pm »
There will always be a little milk left over if you are single side feeding. For fun I pumped a few times and usually yielded 1-2 oz on the side I finished nursing on. As my babies got older, I felt my supply lowered a little to their demand.

As long as you aren't experiencing mastitis, or frequent breast duct clogging, and as long as your baby isn't very fussy and showing signs of oversupply (frequent green diapers, lots of gas and upset tummy) then your supply may be just perfect for you and her.
Stacy, Mama to
and my angel babies

Offline dd2flick

• Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2005, 15:32:21 pm »
:D  :D  :D   I would like to say a great big thankyou for giving me this advice. I dont seem to be off this board as it offers me a life line at times. Just another quick Q while I am on. Where will I find
"and then there was two" would it be under the nap forum. It s just I have a 2 yr old and I worry that she ends up being on her own alot.
dianne

Offline GraceKellysmom

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2005, 01:14:17 am »
Dianne,

"And then there were two" is under the General forum, two under the lounge. A great forum! It has definately been a lifeline to me. My ds will be nearly 2 when the twins are born and I worry about him a lot - my dd handled the new sibling well because she was much younger. How far apart are your two?
Stacy, Mama to
and my angel babies