Author Topic: Maititis..............I'm really almost ready to give up  (Read 1886 times)

Offline Lara's Mum

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 19
Maititis..............I'm really almost ready to give up
« on: November 30, 2005, 19:44:18 pm »
it seems since my C-section (7 weeks ago), my body has been so strange.... first my body self reacted to the stiches and the cannula, i developed ppd, my milk didn't come in as rapidly and when it did, it wasn't enough for dd. and by the time my supply increased, my nipples were sored and cracked, with severe pain and bleeding, now i'm developing masititis.......i love breastfeeding my dd, but with all the problems, i've almost reached the end of the rope...sorry if i sound like a complainer, i normally don't, but life has been in chaos, i could always look at the brighter side of things, but now, even the brighter side has a dim part to it
Shahira
Mum to Lara, Born 13/10/05
Spirited Textbook Libran

Offline TnTsmama

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 1
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2005, 20:31:46 pm »
Shahira,
Hang in there!  It does get better, I promise.  I had every breastfeeding problem in the book with my firstborn.  Yeast infection, mastitis, very sore, cracked nipples that bled every time he nursed.  It was so painful I cried every time I had to feed him.  But I got treatment, and perservered.  I'm so glad I did.  EVerything did get better and easier, and I breastfed him until he was 14 months.  He was and is so healthy and I am so proud of myself for making it through.  I also got mastitis with my second son, and had to get treated with antibiotics.  But I stuck with it again.  You can do it, I promise!  And if you don't, that's o.k. too of course.  But I encourage you to give it a little more time and see how it goes.  Be sure to get treatment asap! 
I used lanolin on my nipples, and that helped alot!  Good luck!
Jenean
wife to Jake 6/16/01
mom to Travis 10/4/03
and Trevor 9/9/05

Offline Luke-n-Me

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2005, 20:37:52 pm »
Try to hang in there-trust me I know it's tough.   I had mastitis 4 times in the first 12 weeks d/t overabundant supply.  It has gotten much better and I'm glad I persevered!  Every time I got it I swore that if I got it one more time, I was going to quit, but once I got over it, I didn't want to quit.  I've finally "evened out" my supply and it's much better.  I also had a cracked nipple, which was awful, I posted a message on Dr. Jack Newman's website and one of his "people" recommended either his cream (of course) or emu oil.  I had never heard of emu oil and felt odd going to the health food store to ask for it, but I'm glad I did-it really helped with the cracked nipple.  It's still cracked, but it doesn't bother me at all and hasn't for over a month.  Hang in there, you are in the toughest stage now!!!
Nancy

Luke (4-2-03)
Annika (8-30-05)

Offline GraceKellysmom

• Showing Appreciation 104
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2005, 21:39:27 pm »
I'm sure you must have a great lactation consultant? That you're working with at least on a weekly basis if not more frequently?

Sending you {hugs} My nursing difficulties were different in nature but there were times we wanted to hang up the towel too. I'm glad I kept going, not only for the health of my baby, but for my own health too.
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies

Offline Lilah'sMommy

• Showing Appreciation 254
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2005, 21:45:22 pm »
I loved Lasinoh in those early breastfeeding days; it won't help the mastitis of course, but it will help with the sore and cracked nipples.  I wished I had bought some while I was still pregnant and taken it to the hospital with me; it helped that much.
Sabrina
wife to Roy, 6-29-01
mom to Lilah, 9-5-04
Iris, 1-8-07
and Eve, 4-9-09

annamum

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2005, 23:31:18 pm »
I want to join and say that it gets better, so better that it is easier to breastfeed than to prepare bottles with formula.

I hope you are going to see somebody regarding mastitis, sometimes it may go away on its own and sometimes you need to take antibiotics to fight it off. What is important when you have mastitis is to keep nursing because nursing actually relieves pain in your breast and keeps your ducts from getting plugged.

Yeah, nursing in a long run is rewarding in so many ways for both of you. It does get better and it becomes really easy and convenient.

Regardless of your decision, you can always come here for support :D !

Offline LaylaW

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2005, 08:59:54 am »
Hi - I had to write in because I was in the same situation as you after my section and so nearly gave us breastfeeding because of mastitis and a really cracked nipple. It was so bad that if I didn't latch my baby on properly it would bleed on both of us (really unpleasant).

The only way I could sort it out was to make sure that Eva was latched on properly which took a long time and several attempts at each feed (she was fine on the other side for some reason). I had to take paracetamol before each feed which helped a bit too. My nipple did take a long time to heal but the pain went away in a few days and I'm soooo glad I perservered with it. I never thought that it would actually heal because it was so bad but it has healed completely with no scarring.

I had to use disposable breast pads (the washable ones stuck and tore the skin - ouch!) and apply lansinoh after each feed so the nipple didn't scab over but healed from the inside.

Good luck.
Layla

Offline jbepko

• Showing Appreciation 32
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2005, 15:45:08 pm »
I've been there too.....just finished with my second mastitis and he's 3 1/2 mos old. My nipples did better than with DD. I used Soothies for first 2 weeks-- they felt wonderful and then disposable pads- I actually squirt i bit of Lanolin onto the center of the pad and then put pad on nipple...it just felt better to me than just applying on nipple itself.
Jeni

Offline seaflower

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 2
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2005, 09:00:16 am »
Hi Shahira, well done on you persistence, you surely had lots of bumps along the way! As the others said, it does get much easier, the first two months are the hardest! Try and get as much help and support you can from your family, doctor, lactation consultant...

As for the mastitis, I had it last week, a very mild from luckily. Make sure you get plenty of rest and nutricious food, and keep feeding the baby. Lansiloh cream is wondeful, I used to put it on before and after a feed in the early months.

Again, well done on lasting so long, and hang in there, in few months this will be like a distant memory  :D
My little princess is 2.5 :) Textbook/Angel/Spirited toddler
My little munchkin is few weeks old and doesn't understnd EASY!