Author Topic: Need Help w/ turning down the screaming!!  (Read 910 times)

Offline bheemeryck

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 2
Need Help w/ turning down the screaming!!
« on: November 30, 2005, 22:13:29 pm »
My ds is 10 months old, and LOVES to yell loudly All the time at the top of his lungs. Of course it was cute at first and we thought it was sort of just a phase, however it is beginning to be a constant thing, and I can't even talk to my dh in the evenings over the yelling! Any advice on how to teach my son how to turn the noise level down a few notches? Is is a phase, if not how do I go about tellinbg a 10 month old no yelling? I don't want to use the 'd' (discipline) word, but I always think to myself if we don't teach him it's not an appropriate behavior, he'll just keep doing it!! And I don't want to be THAT Mom!!   :lol:
Becky
Mom to Alex(01-26-2005)

Nikki~Nathan&Danielle

« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2005, 07:06:27 am »
Um, they just get louder.  :wink:   It will be a phase, but also just a new found skill.  My 2.5yo still yells, I know that's a different kettle of fish, but I'd just ignore it.  You could start to whisper to him and just show him that he can do "other" things with his voice too and model a "regular" voice, perhaps use some sort of distraction, but I wouldn't make an issue of it.   I wouldn't worry about being "that kind of mum", because any other parent who's been there recently wouldn't bat an eyelid.  If it's me and that sort of thing happens in public, I'd just talk in a really calm, smiley voice something like "oh, you're being all happy and rowdy today are you?" and distract with something else if you can.

HTH :)

Offline maggieruth

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 251
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2005, 10:53:44 am »
wow, pleased i came accross this post! i too have a budding screamer (can induce headaches in his sometimes used high scream!)  i think i am going to begin to change my responses to this immediately!
BTW- a friend of mine says she learned her best tip for dealing with loud (though admitedly older) kids from watching a kindergarten teacher talking to her class and making her voice quieter so that the entire class stopped and listened!
thanks for the heads up before Ethan starts to break glass!