Author Topic: Concern  (Read 1471 times)

Offline Jennifer2e

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 11
Concern
« on: December 01, 2005, 03:21:56 am »
Grayson is 7 weeks and has been getting a bottle of EBM for a few weeks at the DF.  He has always been a bit lazy nursing.  In the beginning I had SOOOOOOO much milk and it would just squirt in his mouth with little to no effort on his part.  Now as soon as my breats become less full he quits trying.  He only seems to continue eating when they are full and letting down quickly.  I have tried pumping right after he eats to be sure there is still milk and there always is.  Last night I fed him before bed and he quit eating so I picked him up to burp.  He started screaming and rooting on my neck so I tried to get him to latch on again.  He WOULD NOT have any part of that.  This went on for several minutes of him crying and rooting when I decided to try a bottle of EBM.  He took 1.5 ounces and was fine.  I then went and pumped and again had milk.  My breasts were MUCH less full because he had eaten on both sides but I don't understand my he stops.  What can I do?  Will it hurt to top him off with EBM if I pump after that?  I just don't want him to become a snacker because he is lazy at the breast.

edited to add-I start back to work tomorrow so he will be getting two bottles a day.  Taking the bottle away isn't an option.
Jennifer

Aidan-2/2/02
Ella-1/29/05
Grayson-10/10/05

Offline daisymelan

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 121
    • My Site Dedicated to BW.
Concern
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2005, 14:33:38 pm »
I'm not sure exactly what your asking.  Are you asking if it's ok to top your son off with a bottle as long as you pump after he's done feeding to keep up your milk supply?  As long as all his feeds are concentrated at one time adn he's getting what he needs, I don't think that constitutes as snacking.  But I'm not sure if I understood your conern correctly.

If he wants to finish his feed with a bottle, I think that's more than fine.
Mom to O (July 20/05) and L (Dec 25/06)

Offline deb

• Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
Concern
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2005, 15:25:01 pm »
What happens if you don't offer him anything? If he's just finished a growth spurt, he might just be "chillin'!" Maybe just leave well enough alone when he decides he's done and see how long it takes him to act hungry again?

Offline Lilah'sMommy

• Showing Appreciation 254
Concern
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2005, 16:11:10 pm »
I agree with Deb.  At around the age Grayson is now, Lilah started to really cut down on the amount of time she nursed.  I had a lot of milk and a very powerful letdown.  She would bob off the breast and maybe humor me a couple times by latching back on, but not for long.  If I pushed too much, she'd arch her back and scream!  Now it seems pretty clear to me that she'd eaten enough, but back then I would flip out, thinking she hadn't, just because she was nursing for so much shorter a period than a baby her age was "supposed" too.

HTH!
Sabrina
wife to Roy, 6-29-01
mom to Lilah, 9-5-04
Iris, 1-8-07
and Eve, 4-9-09

Offline Jennifer2e

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 11
Concern
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2005, 17:35:08 pm »
Thanks Ladies.  I was hoping he would eat more during the day and less at night.
Jennifer

Aidan-2/2/02
Ella-1/29/05
Grayson-10/10/05

Offline GraceKellysmom

• Showing Appreciation 104
Concern
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2005, 20:09:49 pm »
You could try breast compressions to get him to eat a little bit more/longer.

Max was the same way, when my flow slowed he was done.

I read something the other day that said that although bottle-fed babies may sleep longer initially than bf babies, around 6-8 weeks parents of each reported they were sleeping about the same. Interesting?

Good luck with your return to work and yay for pumping! I will cheer you all the way!
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies

Offline jaxnp

• Showing Appreciation 16
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2005, 20:22:41 pm »
Have you tried switching sides?  I had to switch back and forth 3-4 times when David was that age to get him to finish. 

wow, you're back to work already?  what do  you do?