Author Topic: sacrifice naps to get a full night's rest?  (Read 1414 times)

Offline alligirl

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 34
  • Our little lady!
    • My blog
sacrifice naps to get a full night's rest?
« on: December 01, 2005, 16:40:33 pm »
Stephen's been waking up a couple times a night over the last several nights and it's driving me crazy.  He goes back to bed easily and it's usually just a matter of finding one of his lovies and just covering him up.   But I noticed it happens a lot more on days that he gets a good nap.   I'm really not ready to give up nap times, but I can't deal with the middle of the night wakings....I lose my patience with him and I'm ready to throw all his lovies out the window or burn them when it's 3am and the third time I've been up (I think I threatened that to his face a few nights ago :oops: ). 

I guess I don't really have a question that needs answering....just needed to vent/whine.  Anybody else dealt with this before?
Alli-
Stephen Alexander 01/27/03
Zachary Christopher 11/11/04
Marc-Adam Garrison 10/26/06
Genevieve Cathryn 05/07/09

Offline deb

• Showing Appreciation 593
  • Resident Nac Mac Feegle
    • My Very Own Crunchy & Progressive Parenting Blog
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2005, 17:41:53 pm »
Our issue is getting Josie to go to bed (well, to sleep) at a reasonable hour in the first place if she naps during the day, because then she's cranky as all get-out the next day, but we had to can the naps when she was, um, let's see..... a bit over 2 years, 28 months I think. The only way we can avoid this problem is if she's tired enough from a bad night's sleep to nap a bit during the AM (like in the car on the way to grandparents' house) but no longer than 30-40 minutes total.

BTW, even if she DOES nap, evenings are still hellacious - they just last longer. :(

Offline Carmela's Mom

• Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2005, 17:54:59 pm »
I don't let Carmela sleep more than 2 hours for nap....I find that it helps her sleep better at night (well sometimes)

Offline Noelle

• Showing Appreciation 53
  • Eau Claire, WI
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2005, 17:59:08 pm »
We are in the exact same boat  :x  :cry:  :roll:      This has been going on since we started the potty training in feb/march....

Though this past 2 weeks we have seen some progress with him sleeping through 2-3 nights/week.  I thought it was the babies who were supposed to have the nightwakings!! We don't hear from Zoe ever at night!! (thank goodness!!)  :lol:
**Noelle**  Formerly JohnandZoesMom

Offline Lana

• Dragon Lady
  • Administrator
  • Showing Appreciation 1103
  • Red Ninjini
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2005, 18:04:20 pm »
We have sort of the same problem except that Ewan doesn't wake in the night he just takes forever to go to sleep and then gets up early if he has a nap.  Like you though I am really sad about loosing nap time :cry: .

Offline Costarican mom

• Showing Appreciation 15
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2005, 00:49:06 am »
Many people keep telling me to keep my 15 month old from napping during the day, 'cause that way he'll be so tired he'll sleep thru the night..and it sounds logical, but that's not how it goes down when he doesn't nap properly.
At this point, he is taking one nap which is approximately 2-2.5 hours, consistently... thing is, he keeps waking up at least twice a night and it's driving me nuts! He has a bottle each time and goes back to sleep... until 5-5:30 when he starts his day.  Not even when he slept thru the night for a couple of months did he ever sleep any later than that...so I'm not even aiming to change that...I just want him to sleep at night.
Suggestions please.

Offline Noelle

• Showing Appreciation 53
  • Eau Claire, WI
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2005, 03:26:43 am »
Hi!
A fifteen month old definitely needs his nap..sleep begets sleep...but you already know that  :D  :wink:

If I were to guess, he is waking out of habit for the bottle.  At 15 months, he shouldn't need to eat at night.  My suggestion would be to slowly start watering the bottles down.  He's a little bit older than Leah, but check out this post....

HTH  :D

http://babywhisperer.com/forum/how-we-stopped-the-night-feeds-with-a-9-month-old-vp317198.html?highlight=#317198

(I'm not sure about water damaging the digestive system though...have never heard of that?)
**Noelle**  Formerly JohnandZoesMom

Offline Carri

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2005, 04:27:57 am »
I have the same problem as Lana.  Logan is 26 months old.  He has a long afternoon nap starting at 12:30 and he sleeps until at least 3:00 or later.  I used to put him to bed at 7:00 pm when he first started on one nap and I have gradually moved his bedtime to 9:00 pm.  He usually doesn't fall asleep until at least 10:00 pm.  I feel so bad for him; he just lays there and sings or counts and is wide awake.  It is a vicious circle:  because his night is so short, he is exhausted at naptime and takes a long nap.  But I hate to wake him from the nap because he wakes up so grumpy and more importantly I love to nap at the same time  :oops: !  But I think I will have to start waking him before he makes a midnight bedtime a habit!

Alli...I really think that your sleep issues with Stephen are the same as Lana and mine...it is just causing him to wake at night instead of causing bedtime issues.  What time do you put him to bed?  A later bedtime may temporarily fix the problem if you aren't quite ready to shorten the naps.
Carri

Mom to:
Logan ~ Born October 5, 2003
Olivia ~ Born January 11, 2006

Formerly known as: Carri~Logan's Mom