Author Topic: I think DH may be overfeeding  (Read 1822 times)

Offline Aiden and Marlo's Mama

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 10
I think DH may be overfeeding
« on: December 01, 2005, 17:03:22 pm »
How can you tell if you're overfeeding a baby?  Marlo is at least 10 lbs now, if not 10 1/2 -11 and today's my first day back at work.  DH just called and said she's had three 4-oz bottles ALREADY!  (I've been gone since 7 am - so all that in 4 hours  :shock:  :shock:  )

Apparently she's not spitting up a lot because I know he would have mentioned it if she had.

Is it possible she's going thru a growth spurt?  (He also said she's only slept 10 minutes here and 10 minutes there and as soon as he puts her in her bassinet she wakes up.

I feel SO VERY HELPLESS here at work, and I know dh wants to do the best he can - but since I'm not there I don't know what to tell him.  I just read that babies are supposed to get about 2 1/2 oz a day for every lb of their weight, and that would put Marlo at approximately 24 oz per day - so that means she's already eaten half of that and I'm really freaking out.

Anyone????
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lori

Offline Noelle

• Showing Appreciation 53
  • Eau Claire, WI
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2005, 17:24:37 pm »
How old is she again?  It does seem to maybe be a bit much.  The first thing that came to mind is that could she be comfort sucking? From the bottle, thus getting the food as a plus??

THough if it is a growth spurt....and she isn't spitting up...
**Noelle**  Formerly JohnandZoesMom

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2005, 18:13:27 pm »
6 weeks and 2 days...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lori

Offline Lucysmom

• Showing Appreciation 118
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2005, 18:48:14 pm »
There is a 6 week growth spurt so maybe that is what is going on?

Offline Noelle

• Eau Claire, WI
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2005, 15:14:28 pm »
How did it go the rest of the day?  Like Lucysmom mentioned, there is usually a growth spurt around 6 weeks...

:D

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2005, 17:55:35 pm »
She was a farting MACHINE!  My whole house stunk and she was cranky.  :?  She took a huge poo this morning and I picked her up for her appt with the neurologist (who said she was "absolutely perfect"!   :D  ) and she poo'd again - felt bad for the people in the office  :lol:  and she's been an angel since (of course now I'm back at work and have no idea.) 

AND - she now weighs 11 1/2 lbs (at her 1 month checkup she had put back on the one pound she lost in the hospital from birth, but had grown 2 inches in length!  So different than Aiden when he was a baby.  I don't think he weighed that much till he was 3-4 months old!

DH is feeding her to sleep - it's so hard because I don't want to tell him he's doing something wrong(ish)- he's working so hard taking care of both kiddos and working at night, but I guess that's a whole 'nother post...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lori

Offline Noelle

• Eau Claire, WI
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2005, 18:28:04 pm »
Quote from: AidensMama
She was a farting MACHINE!  My whole house stunk and she was cranky.  :?  She took a huge poo this morning and I picked her up for her appt with the neurologist (who said she was "absolutely perfect"!   :D  ) and she poo'd again - felt bad for the people in the office  :lol:  and she's been an angel since (of course now I'm back at work and have no idea.)

LOL!!!  :lol:

Quote from: AidensMama
DH is feeding her to sleep - it's so hard because I don't want to tell him he's doing something wrong(ish)- he's working so hard taking care of both kiddos and working at night, but I guess that's a whole 'nother post...

Completely understand this.  :D   And I agree, there is nothing "wrong" with it...just not the BW way - but that's OK!  :D   I do think though, that this is probably why she is/was eating so much.  She really wants to sleep and is getting used to the bottle to do it.  Thing is, you can't suck without getting the milk  :wink:   My SIL did/does this as well - and her baby is a little chunker but happy and healthy  :D   So in this case, it probably isn't "hurting" her....just makes EASY more difficult.

{{HUGS}}

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2005, 19:21:45 pm »
Well - I "rented" the BW DVD from Netflix (boy was I happy to see it on there!) and it should be arriving Monday - so maybe if I can't get dh to read the book, I might be able to get him to watch the dvd...Keep your fingers crossed for me!  :D
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lori

Offline Noelle

• Eau Claire, WI
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2005, 21:18:20 pm »
All crossed - good luck and let us know how it goes over!!  :D