Author Topic: iron in formula  (Read 2403 times)

Offline crazycanuck

• Sarah
  • Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 16
  • my nugget - she melts my heart
iron in formula
« on: December 01, 2005, 18:51:59 pm »
hi there
i have a baby i think has reflux and is a major spitter.....he was a spitter when he was breastfed as well so I don't think it's the bottle now......some people have told me to buy a formula with less iron in it....does anyone elses babies burps smell like iron......everything is high iron and I can't seem to find one with a little less.  I am feeding similac advance and  the other major brands all have the same amount, the speciality brands also have the same....similac used to make a low iron but they are no longer oproducing it i found out............also my baby seems to get so upset when he has some poop coming....he has loud adult like farts and they seem to be painful.....is this constipation or just gas?  he usually poops about 2xs to 1x a day..........they are very thick and dark brown..........

breastfed for 6 months and exclusively pumping now!!!

Offline Mom2katiebug

• Showing Appreciation 151
iron in formula
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2005, 19:10:33 pm »
Don't know about any low iron formula.  In fact, the pediatrician was going to give me iron supplement if I was going to exclusively breastfeed.

My 6WO DD had a similar gas problem and when we switched bottles, this helped reduce it.  She's recently had some painful bowel movements (screaming and tears), so I talked to her doc.  Others on the boards have recommended Gripe Water and her doc confirmed that it's okay to give it to her and also recommended Mylicon (sp?).  I think we're going to have to get on a regular schedule with my LO as she goes every other day or so and it's very painful for her.
"Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you also have an obligation to be one."  - Eleanor Roosevelt

mommasboys

iron in formula
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2005, 19:17:13 pm »
I don't know much about reflux. Sorry.

When my oldest was on formulaHe's almost 7 now so it's been awhile) They had Low iron formula and i bought some for my lo and the dr. told me to take him off it right away.  He said they should not even have it on the market.    SInce then i haven't seem anymore so i don't think they still make it.

Sorry i can't be of any help.

Offline JennŠ

• Showing Appreciation 513
  • Whispering since 2005. :)
iron in formula
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2005, 19:31:02 pm »
Low iron formula is used for specific kids.  Can't think what for at the moment, but it should only be used with the doc's ok.
 When you're soaring through the air, I'll be your solid ground.  Take every chance you dare.  I'll still be there when you come back down.

Offline Noelle

• Showing Appreciation 53
  • Eau Claire, WI
iron in formula
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2005, 22:09:50 pm »
Hello,
The way it was explained to me is that formula has the "ideal" amount of iron in it - as they try to make it as similar as possible to breast milk (thus the reason for moms to maybe be on iron supplements, especially if they are low on iron themselves).  It is possible for a certain formula to maybe make a little one constipated.  In this case, you may want to try a different formula even if it has the same amount of iron.  For example, rice cereal sometimes makes little ones constipated but oatmeal doesn't..though they both also have the same amount of iron.

You may want to have a look at the colic/reflux forum - you may find some answers there in regards to his possible reflux.

If his bowel movements seem painful, I would say it was constipation.  It's not uncommon to push/grunt and get red in the face, but it shouldn't be painful.
**Noelle**  Formerly JohnandZoesMom

Offline crazycanuck

• Sarah
  • Showing Appreciation 16
  • my nugget - she melts my heart
iron in formula
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2005, 22:41:03 pm »
i still can't figure this out

breastfed for 6 months and exclusively pumping now!!!

Offline angela123

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
iron in formula
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2005, 22:49:57 pm »
I can't help you with the fomula end of things, but I can tell you that my son is on an iron supplement due to anemia (he is breastfed but was low birth wieght so needs a little extra until we start cereal) and with the extra iron in his system his poops are less frequent now than without the iron, darker coloured and smellier (which my doctor assured me is totally normal).  So from my experience (albeit very limited) I would say that you are definitely on the right track with trying to limit his iron since it sounds like your little guy is probably getting more than his fair share.

Angela:)