Author Topic: Screaming at the breast - WHY?!?  (Read 2039 times)

Offline SunnyCA

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: December 01, 2005, 23:30:01 pm »
DD (11 wks.) has always been a great nurser. Lately, though, every time I feed, she screams and arches her back and pulls. OW! Then she'll frantically root around to start again. I'm figuring it might be gas because she always lets off a few toots, but she seems so miserable! Are there any nursing positions that might help? Why is this happening all of the sudden?

Offline GraceKellysmom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 104
Screaming at the breast - WHY?!?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2005, 02:50:40 am »
There are a few explanations, so see what might work for you. Some babies do this because they are impatient with the slow flow. Some babies do this because they don't like a fast let down. Some babies do this because they have gas. Some babies do this because it hurts to suck, from teething. Others do it because they are hungry but there isn't much milk left in that breast. And others do it because they are not really hungry - yet - or at all - and may want to suck - or may not.  :lol:  I know, it's not much help. Thankfully, this too does pass, promise!  :D
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies

Offline jbepko

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 32
Screaming at the breast - WHY?!?
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2005, 03:44:35 am »
Kellymom.com can help you figure it out
Jeni

Offline mom-to-4!

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
  • My sweet children!
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2005, 04:44:10 am »
Have you talked to her doctor about reflux?  It is common for an infant with reflux to be hungry, but then refuse to eat because it hurts.  You might want to have it checked out, just in case that is the problem.  If it is, it can be remedied easily with meds.  (My son used them for awhile, but n o longer needs them.)  I hope you find a solution!

Offline Guava

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2005, 18:35:22 pm »
If its any consolation I am going through exactly the same thing with my 11wkdd.  I'll let you know if I find anything that helps.  The one thing that has worked is to feed her when she is still kind of dozy side to side.

Offline jingers

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2005, 11:03:26 am »
I am going through the exactly same problem with my 11 weeks old baby girl. She has always been a great feeder. But just from last week, she cries and pulled away when I tried to feed her, especially on my right breast. I don't know why!! :shock:

It is getting quite stressful sometime. :?

Let me know if you have any progress with your situation.

Offline jingers

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2005, 22:58:48 pm »
Hi, I had exactly same problem with my 11 weeks old dd. After read the information on http://www.kellymom.com, I suspect the fast milk flow might be the reason causing her fussing when she was on the breast. So I tried a new position. I let her sit on the bed facing my breast, I sit besides her and use my hand support her neck and head. She latched on, had a good feed without fussing much. It worked this morning too. If you go to that website, there are a few picture there shows different feeding postion which might help. Good luck.

Offline SunnyCA

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2005, 16:39:25 pm »
Jingers- Where did you find the nursing positions at kellymom? Also, thanks everyone for the help. Things are going a little bit better. I've started giving her the Mylicon drops before she nurses and things sound like they're coming out a little easier. :) She doesn't cry as much, so I think it is gas.  :?

Offline jingers

• Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2005, 11:32:27 am »
Hi, Sorry I didn't reply earlier. I haven't visited this website for a few days. The feeding postion on Kellymom.com is under Breastfeeding-Common breast feeding concern-baby-My baby fusses and cries during breast feeding, what is the problem - Forceful Let down. There are a few different pictures there. How is feeding going these days?

Quote from: SunnyCA
Jingers- Where did you find the nursing positions at kellymom? Also, thanks everyone for the help. Things are going a little bit better. I've started giving her the Mylicon drops before she nurses and things sound like they're coming out a little easier. :) She doesn't cry as much, so I think it is gas.  :?