Author Topic: Poop again!!  (Read 1183 times)

Offline rooby-rooby-roo

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 108
  • Do what you always do - get what you always got
Poop again!!
« on: December 01, 2005, 23:58:06 pm »
Hello again,

I just have a query regarding Reds poop! He is exclusively breastfed, with one bottle one formula most days due to low supply in the evenings. His poop is now consistently mucousy and foul smelling, it has big globs of mucous in it a lot of the time. I thought the smell maybe due to the reflux and acid travelling through his system?? These poops do not seem to bother him, so should i be bothered?? I do happen to think it has a link with my dairy intake - do you think that i should cut it out? I actually have a mild intolerance to dairy and shouldn't be eating them in the amounts that i am at the moment so it wouldn't be a bad thing!!!

So i guess what i'm asking is: If they are mucousy why is it, and if they don't bother him should i worry??
Clair - Proud Lesbian Mama to:

*Ruby - spirited angel
*Red - touchy angel
*Rory - all-round angel
*Raphael - blessed with another angel??

Offline stressybessy

• BW Devotee
  • Showing Appreciation 4
Poop again!!
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2005, 00:11:30 am »
Hi clair,
My baby also had a couple of days like this. His poop was mucousy and green, just as I started to worry it cleared up. I didnt eat anything out of the ordinary and he too is breast fed... Not sure what is was in the end! Let me know how he goes X

Offline Mum to Ella Rose

• Showing Appreciation 275
Poop again!!
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2005, 00:32:58 am »
Hi Clair,

I haven't dealt with this myself but I always remember being told mucousy poops are a good indicator of a food intolerance, so maybe it is the milk? Our paed. also told us reflux shouldn't make a difference in their poop and we have never had an issue with Ella who has bad reflux... I hope you get it sorted and at least it's not bothering the mite!

Sharon
~Sharon~  proud Mummy to

Ella Rose November 20, 2004
Alexander James March 19, 2008

Offline Kayna

• Showing Appreciation 14
Poop again!!
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2005, 02:17:31 am »
Hi Clair, Avery is allergic to dairy and her first signs were mucousy poops. Avery was diagnosed at 2 months so I'm surprised it hasn't shown up sooner in Red but the ped. did say that it can take a while to build up in their little systems before signs really occur.

For me, I cut out dairy and within 24 hours her poops were extremely less mucousy. I would give it a try and see what happens. HTH.  :lol:
Kayna
Eric DH Married 5/1/99
Daikon Neil 8/14/01
Avery Rose 6/13/05

Offline GraceKellysmom

• Showing Appreciation 104
Poop again!!
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2005, 02:55:32 am »
I also read that your baby may not be intolerant, it could be your immune system reaction that he is reacting to. Does that make sense?

Mucus is usually a sign of a food intolerance. Some babies aren't bothered by it. From what I understand from my previous ped, it is the gut's first reaction - pre bleeding. We tested mucus diapers and found trace blood.
Stacy, Mama to
Grace Kelly 01/03, Maximilian Alexander 07/04, Faith Noelle 03/07, Henry Patrick 12/08
and my angel babies

Offline Livvismum

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 4
Poop again!!
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2005, 07:46:29 am »
Hi Clair

Exactly what hapenned to us - muscous and then trace blood with more over time. I understand what Stacy is saying - as you are reacting to the dairy you're body is sending out increased amounts of antibody to adjust to the histamine and therefore your lo's system could actually be responding to this rather than his own allergy/intolerance.

I would say cut back and see how you go. Does he have any other signs of allergy/intolerance? Gas, eczema etc I believe that sometime reflux can be linked to allergy/intolerance.

hth
Sara