Author Topic: Screaming when swaddled  (Read 890 times)

Offline SunnyCA

• New & Learning The Ropes!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« on: December 02, 2005, 02:14:15 am »
I have a Spirited DD (11 wk. old) who NEEDS to be swaddled to sleep. She just flails, wakes herself up, and hits herself if she isn't. The problem is, now she screams when I swaddle her, which gets her all worked up right before going to sleep! If I swaddle her before wind-down time, she just cries her little eyes out all through it. If I wait until after, she starts screaming and it seems like even doing a wind-down was a waste. I can calm her down by bouncing her a little, but that seems anti-BW. Does it matter what you do during your wind-down time if they're falling asleep in the crib and not while you're doing it?  Is it best for me to swaddle her before wind-down time? Any suggestions would be welcomed!

Offline Deb_in_oz

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 615
  • personal development blogger
Screaming when swaddled
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2005, 20:39:53 pm »
you are right to realise that she does NEED the swaddle in spite of all the protesting - those sppirited ones really need it or they will just drive themselves crazy with those arms...

i would do it in your windown/right before bed and use a method of calming (shhing in your arms, swaying, bouncing, etc) that works for you, and then carry on with putting her to bed.

i think when bouncing is referred to as non-BW (so to speak) it is as a method of getting kids to sleep. if you want to use as part of your windown / recalming after swaddle i think it is fine if that is what works for YOUR baby  - just make sure you continue to put her to bed awake.
Debra - a New Yorker living in Australia married to a Brit

dd1 - Textbook/Angel, born July 2003
dd2 - Spritied through & through, born Feb 2005

Check out my website:   Home Life Simplified
Like my Facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/HomeLifeSimplified