Author Topic: are you satified with 1 hour naps for 4 mo old?  (Read 983 times)

Offline PeepersMom

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 9
are you satified with 1 hour naps for 4 mo old?
« on: December 02, 2005, 16:18:29 pm »
I am working on extending naps and so far it is sssssssslllllooooooooowwwwwwwwwwllllllllllyyyyyyyyyy working.  Now I don't know how hard I should work if he gets to the 1 hour point.  Should  I be happy and let him get up?  I let him up yesterday at 1 hour and I really think he was quite tired still.  But it usually takes a good 45 min of work to get him back down again and it seems like over kill if he slept for an hour.......

Does that make sense?

I may have answered my own question - he is still tired so I should continue trying to extend, right?

Thanks
Sweet Boy PJ "I'm too excited to sleep!"
DOB 7/28/05
Jovie love
DOB 1/24/11
Big Boy Miles
DOB 4/29/12

Offline Taylor's Mommy

• Showing Appreciation 17
  • Long Beach, CA
    • http://www.taylormadellc.com
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2005, 04:03:56 am »
what kind of routine is he on now?
Andrea
Taylor-Textbook Baby
DOB 04/19/05

Sydney-too soon to tell, but looking EASY
DOB 05/20/07

Offline PeepersMom

• Showing Appreciation 9
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2005, 13:10:45 pm »
ha ha ha hah ah ahahahahahahahahha

what routine?  Basically he eats every 3-3.5hours and can only stay awake max 1hour20 min

I can't figure him out!
Sweet Boy PJ "I'm too excited to sleep!"
DOB 7/28/05
Jovie love
DOB 1/24/11
Big Boy Miles
DOB 4/29/12

Offline shem2005

• New, But Posting Steadily!
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2005, 00:03:20 am »
My DD is 6 months old and i have the same problem, she will usually nap 1 hour and sometimes if i am luck it will be 1.5 hours.

I do continue to resettle if it is only 1 hour because after only about 1 hour up she is very cranky and also she feeds every 4 hours so it does distrupt this.

I know what you mean though cause if DD wakes at 1 hour, she will usually talk for 20 minutes or so, then she will cry so i go in, but then she only has about 40 minutes left of her sleep anyway and I usually can't get her to resettle in this time.

I have perservered though and some naps have extended, i think i will try for a couple more weeks to extend and then maybe go with the flow.

Other times she can sleep for 1.5-2 hours so maybe she knows when she has had enough sleep?

Offline Taylor's Mommy

• Showing Appreciation 17
  • Long Beach, CA
    • http://www.taylormadellc.com
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2005, 04:42:50 am »
Hi Meg-I would try to work on getting him onto a 4 hour EASY routine so that he is eating every 4 hours, and his A time will increase to about 2 hours.  SInce he is 4 months and he is not able to stay up past 1hour20 minutes, his body is thinking he only needs a 1 hour nap because he has only been up for an hour, but then he can only stay up for 1 hour because he only slept for an hour.  It is a vicious circle as you know! :wink:   So try to gradually extend his A time by about 15 minutes for 3-4 days at a time stopping at max 2 hours A time for his age.  As he gets older you will need to readjust A time so he is up longer, but for now 2 hours is ideal for the 4-6 months range.

Take a look in the EASY forum for advice on making the transition and to look at sample schedules.  Also do you have the newest book because in there is an in depth plan to swithc to a 4 hour EASY.

Good luck!
Andrea
Taylor-Textbook Baby
DOB 04/19/05

Sydney-too soon to tell, but looking EASY
DOB 05/20/07