Author Topic: Help! Nap extension messing up nights?  (Read 1218 times)

Offline mommyof2boys

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
Help! Nap extension messing up nights?
« on: December 02, 2005, 16:50:31 pm »
Well, I thought we were making some progress with the 40-minute nap issue by using the paci to get my 16-week-old through the transition.  The past two days extended it to a bit over 2 hours--sometimes with putting the paci in 10x, sometimes just once.

But now the nights are awful!!!  We had about 10 wake-ups last night.  I went into him for 3 (feeding him 2x and putting the paci in once, which he doesn't use at night) and left him to fuss for a bit the other times and he went back to sleep on his own--but of course he woke us up in the meantime!

The first wake-up was at 12:30 and he took a full feeding--growth spurt.  But then he woke up at 2--obviously not hungry after  a recent full feeding--and fussy cried for 5 min before dropping off again.  I fed him again at the 4am wakeup (but he wasn't very hungry), then he woke up again at 4:30, 5:30, and 6:40--fussing himself back to sleep each time except for 5 ish when the paci went in.

He was unswaddled when I peeked at him at 6:40.

So, I think we have a bunch of issues--a growth spurt, a swaddle problem, and the possibility that using the paci to extend naps has made him dependant on it to go back to sleep at night.

Does anyone have any insight as to how to fix this????

We're exhausted and clueless....
mommy of Graham--August 10, 2005
mommy of Bennett--January 30,2003

Offline Taylor's Mommy

• Resident BW Chatterbox!
  • Showing Appreciation 17
  • Long Beach, CA
    • http://www.taylormadellc.com
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2005, 04:32:51 am »
sorry I didn't catch this earlier.  Just wanted to check in and see how things were going.  Are the nights still tough?  Let me know how it is going and if you still need some advice.  :wink:
Andrea
Taylor-Textbook Baby
DOB 04/19/05

Sydney-too soon to tell, but looking EASY
DOB 05/20/07

Offline mommyof2boys

• New & Learning The Ropes
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2005, 04:01:07 am »
Yes, we are still having night waking issues.  We do wake to sleep for all naps, no paci to go to sleep.  I have, however, been using it to extend the 40-minute naps.

At night I sometimes nurse him to sleep, often not.  Doesn't seem to make a difference as he goes down fine either way.

But he's been waking up --sometimes fussing himself back to sleep after 5 minutes, sometimes seriously crying.

I don't want to reinforce this as I don't believe he's hungry--just having a hard time getting settled.  I noticed that the problem is worse if his naps extend to 2 hours; (2 went 2 hours 10 minutes the other day); is the culprit a lack of tiredness?

Any input/experience would be much appreciated.
mommy of Graham--August 10, 2005
mommy of Bennett--January 30,2003

Offline Taylor's Mommy

• Long Beach, CA
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2005, 14:16:36 pm »
Hi there,

sorry things are still rough.  I really don't think the wakings are due to the longer naps as good day sleep 'usually' means good nigth sleep.  In your first post you mentioned that he is coming unswaddled.  Is this still happening?  And if so, perhaps he is getting startled awake?
also when you say you are no longer using the paci, that is at night as well?

To get a better sense of what might be going on I really need to see the whole day.  Can you post his routine?

also, have you checked out the night wakings forum?
Andrea
Taylor-Textbook Baby
DOB 04/19/05

DOB 05/20/07

Offline Taylor's Mommy

• Long Beach, CA
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2005, 14:25:58 pm »
One other thing I wanted to say was that I think it is great that when he sometimes wakes at night he can fuss for a few minutes and put himself back to sleep.  I think that is good progress.  The other times though when he wakes up crying, is it definitely a COME IN HERE I NEED YOU cry?  If it is not an all out cry, perhaps try counting to 100 before going in to see if he will settle himself.  Just a thought.
Andrea
Taylor-Textbook Baby
DOB 04/19/05

DOB 05/20/07

Offline tracefo

• BW Aficionado
  • Showing Appreciation 0
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2005, 20:52:39 pm »
When I extended naps with the soother this happened for us too.  My daughter has slept through the night since she was about  6 weeks old, since I tried to extend naps she wakes up for the soother sometimes every hour.  Since I've backed off on nap extentions she sleeps better but we've never been the same.  We have an occasional no waking night but not consistently anymore.  I wish I had never tried to extend her naps, I think she would still sleep through without any help at night.  If only I'd known or maybe it's a coincidence but I don't think it is because every time I try to extend the naps the night sleep gets worse.  Sorry I can't be of any help but I just want you to know your not the only one.
Tracey